Monday, January 03, 2022

2022.1.3 Nogales, day trip from Orizaba - Wintering in Mexico, part 17

1/3 Monday. It's a day off for me, because 1/1 was a Saturday. Light rain. I hesitated to go out. Eventually took a bus to Nogales, a neighboring town. I got off next to the big church at the west end of the town. I was the last passenger. As I was walking to the church, someone called behind me. The driver handed me my phone. OMG.

I had trouble finding the trailhead for Cañon de Las Caboneras. Walked back and forth in the community of Las Carboneras. Asked 3 people, none knew about it. Ended up crossing the river, and followed a jeep track. After awhile I came upon this sign, and I knew I was on the right track.

After about a mile in, the trail became faint. At multiple points, I couldn't see anything discernable as a track, so just followed these cables (water pipes). Some are hissing with water leaks (at first I thought it would be a snake). At one point, I almost gave up. Then I found to my right on the tree branches, there were plastic bag and a pair of red panties tied on (flewn in?). Scaled the short steep hill, and rejoined the water pipes. Eventually I reached a point that I couldn't continue safely. I could see the waterfall Hilos de Plata through the dense foliage, so I called it an end. The waterfall is very thin. Not really worth the effort. It was misty all day, so the view is compromised. However, these are the only hours I had in Mexico that I was alone, feeling the wild (even with the man-made water pipes).

When I was back at the river crossing, more people and dogs where there. A guy saw me in t-shirts and shorts, asked if I were cold. I told him that I was walking so wasn't cold. I told him I went to see the waterfall. He said it's very far. Then he said I was tall. First person to tell me that.

Back to the big church, I walked a bit more west to Laguna de Nogales. There were a lot of Christmas lights. Probably better to visit in the evening. Despite of a light drizzle, there were 2 boats on the little lake. The water is pretty clean. I couldn't figure out where is the source, after walking all around it.

Last, walked to Rancho El Cortijo. A campground with groomed lawn. It's a campground. I saw 2 car, no tent. M$40 to camp, M$30 otherwise. Hopped on the same bus back to Orizaba, and got off at Chedraui. Ate at a Chinese buffet (M$105 weekday) restaurant next door, before shopping for food.

Back at my Airbnb, the first thing was updating Google Map, with the location and photos.