Saturday, January 29, 2022

2022.1.29. Fly home + Summary - Wintering Mexico, part 28

1/29, Saturday. Couldn't get anyone at the hotel office to checkout (too early). Left the keys, and headed out at 7:53.
Arrived at the main bus terminal at 8:16. It's rather big.
First window is Flecha Roja. The lady said that the next one is in 10 minutes, so I bought the ticket (70) and got on the bus. It left at 8:24. The bus was only 40% full. I think they leave for Mexico City every half an hour or more frequently. I saw 2 of their buses along the way, going at the same direction. It made 5 stops in Toluca along blvd Solidaridad las Torres, picking up passengers. The 5th had a lot of people. The bus was now full. Upon entering Mexico city, 2 more stops.

Arrived at Observatorio at Mexico City at 9:38. Took metro 1 right in front, all the way to its end. Frequent. It took me a few minutes to make sure I was waiting at the correct platform. It turns out, this is the western terminus, so the only choice. 5 peso. There's servisable wifi on the train.

10:20, I'm out of the underground. However, getting out of Pantitlan Station is confusing. The walkway is underground, with exits A to god-knows-what-letter up different stairs. I got out at M. Too late. I was in some camionette parking lot. After I corrected myself, it was easy walking. Also passed a few food vendors, and bought a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. Maybe 12 minutes, I was behind terminal 2 building. Back door, no sign whatsoever. I entered port 5, following the guidance of 2 guys, and arrived at the proper passenger hall. However, I'm not sure if I'm able to find the reverse route without pestering a few people.

The security check is first, not sure why. So I had to get out of the line to drink my beer. Since I was 4 hours ahead of departure, I had time. I waited at the gate for extra security or COVID check. Only right before bording, two employees were handing out questionairs, and helping us to fill out. They checked my COVID test report, only for the date. I doubted they even checked the name, let alone the provider.

map
Summary. 2021/11/22 - 2022/1/29
  • WhatsApp is used everywhere. Useful to install.
  • bed is usually very hard.
  • check-in's are usually after 1pm. check-out is often before noon.
  • towns I considered liveable: Orizaba, Puebla, Toluca, which I certainly will re-visit.
  • 2-3 hour time difference is nice, allowing me to do sightseeing in the morning.
  • people are friendly.
  • noisy.