Wednesday, January 26, 2022

2022.1.25 Taxco, Guerrero - Wintering in Mexico, part 25

1/25, Tuesday. Arrived at Taxco ~12:30, non-stop. Another Magic Town. Inquired about buses at Flecha Roja. Checked in at the hotel. Filled some water in my leaky thermal bottle. I had to ring a bell for someone to open the main gate. Incovenient. Taxco is so different from other towns. Very very hill. Quite pretty.

I took a light, packed water and returned to the same bus terminal for las Grutas de Cacahuamilpa (meaning in the seed of the peanut), a national park, which I hadn't heard of until yesterday. I'm hoping to take the 1:20pm bus (departures are: 5:50, 7:20, 8:50, 10:20, 11:50, 13:20, 15:20, 16:50, 18:30). The guy at the tourist info booth suggested me to take the colectivo van (8:25, 11:10, 13:10, 16:10), because it'll arrive at the parking lot in front of the ticketing area. The bus only stops on the main road, so extra walking is needed. I found the van nearby. No passenger in sight. He said he would go, but was waiting for more takers. It was scheduled to leave at 1:10. But by the time the bus left, he was still waiting. I got on the bus. This turns out to be better. The bus with reclining seats are more comfortable than combi"s hard bench. Walking to and back from the cave to the hwy is hot, about 10-15 minutes. The bus is 44 pesos, AC singing loudly, but not cooling much.

The cave is open daily at 10am, and last entrance is at 5pm. 100 peso. There's a guided tour, and it takes 2 hours. I didn't join any guided tour, because it's all in Spanish, and it goes very slowly. Whenever I met a group, I'd stop and listen for a bit. I only met 2 on this 4 mile RT walk. All paved or with proper stairs and hand rails. The only problem, and also a good thing is that most lights are turned off until a guide turns it on. The vicinity will be illuminated for 10 minutes, and then all goes dark again. I was able to find one of those switches, but mostly I walked in semi darkness. There's some very faint emergency lights, so even without a headlamp, you are not going to fall over. The cave is HUGE. I'm very impressed for how large all the chambers are and how long. One mile in, there's even a restroom area. I walked back to the hwy, and waited. Caught the bus at 4:08. 35 pesos.

Walked to the main plaza: Borda. Santa Prisa de Taxco is an amazing building, both inside and out. Plaza Borda is also very pleasant. Having such a fine flat plaza, albeit small, is rare in this hilly town. There's wifi here, and many people just hangout. Quite a few benches. Next to Plaza Borda were two different taxi pickup points.

I asked a policeman how to get to the Cristo. At Plazauela de San Juan, west of Plaza Borda, took a combi for Panamica. 15 on board. 8 peso. After many zigzags, picking up and dropping off passengers at every corner, I was told to get off at some point and walk. It was longer than I expected, and I missed the proper sunset. The statue is quite ugly. There were a few (less than 10) people here watching sunset. View is not bad. I then walked down the hill directly, instead of taking the winding road. Once I hit the homes, I found many alley ways, stairs to walk down. However, I ended up in some house's backyard with closed gate. The barking dogs got the owner out, and I was led to proper alley to continue my journey downhill. One dog bit me. Good that I had long pants and hiking boots, so my skin was not punctured.

Later, I walked to Chedraui for some groceries.

1/26, Wednesday. I informed the hotel employees that I wished to watch sunrise. So, someone had to open the gate for me. At 6am, I left for Parroquia Guadalupe.

It was very nice to walk in the cool dawn, all is quiet. On my way back, the cleaning crew was sweeping Plaza Borda. The city was waking up. I went to visit the old public washing area. Lots of shops sell silver products, silversmith is the trade of the town.

Packed up, and headed to the state of Mexico.