Monday, January 17, 2022

2022.1.17 Atlixco, half day trip from Puebla - Wintering in Mexico, part 22

1/17, Monday. Bus to La Paz. Oro bus bus station. 32 peso to Atlixco, another Pueblo Magico. 22 miles, credit card accepted. The schedule is 8:20am or 9am from CAPU. Every 40 min. Odd. My bus left at 8:55. Turns out this is an ERCO bus. Intermedio service 8:40am from CAPU.

The bus terminal is south of the center, very close by. Walked through the town and headed up to Cerro de San Miguel. First I want to check out Escalera Ancha with painted stairs and a flower circle, just below the hill. The street was block by this troupe of dancers. They were filming, and wouldn't let me pass. I stayed a bit watching them. But I'm short on time (need to be back to my computer by 1pm).

Above the stairs is the little plaza of San Francisco, framed by long wall with colorful mural. Up the stairs, then the path became faint. Walked by 2 young guys, probably gay. Through rocks and dirt, eventually I hit real path. A couple of joggers. There are 4 viewpoints (miradors). This is the 2nd. On the top is a brightly painted chapel. Good view of the surroundings. Too bad, it's hazy today, so couldn't see the volcanos. Not enough space around the chapel to take a good photo. I came down behind the chapel, followed the clear paved path. This viewpoint is large and high. I continued down, later branched off from the paved road to stairs and faint path. Because the road would reach the bottom on the NW side of the hill, and downtown is to the southeast. Saw this nice looking church on the way, lots of trash around.

Atlixco is known for flowers. However, I didn't find more than usual amount of blooms. I like the benches around the zocalo. They are covered with colorful ceramic.Atlixco is known for flowers. However, I didn't find more than usual amount of blooms. I like the benches around the zocalo. They are covered with colorful ceramic.

The city hall next to the zocalo is covered with mural inside, all 4 walls. Checked out Parroquia de Santa María de la Natividad. White stone, stucco interior.

On the way back to the terminal, walked by San Agustin, probably the oldest church here. Market is also in this area. Bustling. Back at the terminal 11:14. A line of passenger waiting for the bus. Got on an ORO 11:30 (ticket says 11:40). Primer service. 35 peso. Has TV+AC. Left at 11:34. I was back to my computer before my daily meeting.