Wednesday, May 22, 2024

2024.5.22. Making Pizza in Lake Union Park

5/22, Wednesday. I walked by Lake Union Park (for Commute Seattle's bike month send off), and saw a group of people next to 2 pizza ovens. In this photo, you can see 3 tables on the right for eating (with benches on both sides, napkin, and a salad bowl), 2 tables in the middle for making pizza, each fit for 2 parties. Intrigued, I asked this guy on the right, who's from Elihus Seattle. It's their "weekly" pizza making. I lined up after washing my hands. Striked a conversaion with the Indian girl, Aisha(?), in front of me, who carried a yoga mat. She also happened to walk by here on her way home. Since the pizza is a 2-person size, Aisha and I made a pizza together. She's vegetarian, so we didn't put any meat. We were given a dough ball, a rolling pin, and ingrediants (tomato sauce, green and red bell peppers, 2 kinds of cheese, mushroom, olive, pepperroni, sausage). A dash of flour for the rolling, some corn meal to slide the pizza onto a pizza peel.

Rolling the dough takes the longest time. Cooking in the oven is the fastest. It's very hot, the side of the pizza gets burnt from time to time. This is our pizza in the oven. Here's my half of the pizza. We put too much toppings, so it's not cooked through. Still pretty good. The parallel process here (4 teams are going at once) works quite well.

An Indian couple and I volunteered to stay behind to help cleaning up. Most of today's participants are Indians.

The bike event was closing up when I went (a little past 6pm). I got a bike helmet and most importantly a nice large bike map (dated 2023). I went to Seattle City Hall earlier today and asked for a bike map, and was told none existed!