Saturday, May 11, 2024

2024.5.11. Wenatchee River Road

5/11, Saturday. I signed up a flower walk on Wenatchee River Road with WA Native Plant Society to look for mountain lady slipper. The afternoon before the walk, the organizer moved to today. Wasn't sure if I were able to attend, I canceled online. Now I waited at the empty meeting location (a good size pullout before the gate on Wenatchee River Forest Service Road 7906) for the group which is supposed to gather here at 9am. I tried to nap, but couldn't fall asleep. After awhile, still no one came. Worried about the heat, I started walking.

The first 1.5 mile or so is on the road, perfectly drivable. Along the road, saw Oregon anemone, purple vetch, nine-leave lomatium, white showy phlox, balsamroot, camas quamesh, paintbrush, larkspur, 1 single death camas. A haphazard garden bench, overlooking the river.

The gravel road ends in a lovely open meadow with nice looking farming houses. They probably have the keys to the gate. I didn't see any giraffe, as reported by WTA's user a few years ago. A cute sign points to the right. I turned right towards the river. Now it resembles a trail. It goes down to the river. Saw one ookow, a few prairie stars, lupine, flowering current (different colors: white, pink or red), one single fairy slipper (calypsu bulbosa), kinnikinnick, fringecup. more balsamroot and lupine.

At around mile 3 from the gate, the trail seems no longer maintained. A few down trees, and some land slides to climb over. I turned around at a meadow-ish area. Maybe 3.5 miles in. Didn't see any mountain lady slipper (they usually bloom in June). Disappointed. However, on the way back, next to the landslide, I saw a string of Tweedies. That made my day. It was getting hot.

On the way out, met a biker going in. At ~1.2 miles in, I saw 3 ladies sitting on the side of the road by the river, having lunch. They could be from the Native Plant Society. I didn't ask them. Then a group of bikers, maybe 8 heading out. By the time I was back at the car, it was sitting in the full sun. Hot. 86°F.

The heat and lack of sleep diminished my desire to walk. Drove to Camas Meadown Preserve, hoping to see camas. Well, it was all green, no camas at all. Almost no flower. Not even the common lomatium or buttercup. The sign says special permit required to enter. But you can see the meadow from the road towards Camas Meadow Bible Camp. To access, I need to contact DNR. Saw 1 waterleave flower, 3 geum triflorum. I was disappointed. I decided to contact DNR when I get home, and maybe can join a guided walk in June. It was 82°F here, instead of 87°F below on highway 97.

Drove to Yakima Canyon Road for a short hike. On the way, roadside hills were covered with spring flowers here and there. Saw more balsamroot, biscuitroot and lupine on the hill sides here. Quite a scenic drive.

Windy today. I was going slowly. One lady ahead of me, saw only 1 guy coming down. I'm pleasantly surprised for how few people here, even for a Saturday. Maybe because it was late. It was past 4pm already. Saw only 2 bitterroot blooming. A lot of buds though. Most prominent is showy phlox. Didn't see any daggerpod. Few balsamroot. Yes, some hooker's balsamroot. The summit is again covered with buckwheat, just like when I visited 2 years ago. More are coming. On the way down, saw a snake wiggled across the trail in front of me. A rattle?

The car was in the shade by the time I returned. Drove to Cle Elum for gas before returning.