Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023.12.31. The Sugarloaf, Mount Rainier

12/31, Sunday. Exceptionally good weather. Headed out ~6:25am to catch bus 150 in order to meet with VJ around Kent ~7:15am. Our goal today is Camp Muir. The rain and clouds from yesterday made the drive quite pretty: fog/clouds hanging low in the valley.

Only a couple of cars ahead of us at the gate. The road to Paradise opens at 9am usually. We were there after 9. Almost no snow on road. Saw 2 snowplows running. VJ drove his car into a ditch recently, so he was super slow and careful driving up. We didn't start hiking until ~10am.

Snow started from the edge of the parking lot. We put snowshoes on pretty soon, not absolutely necessary, as snow was packed down. VJ is much faster than me, so he went ahead, after set an agreed rdv time: 4pm at the car. We walked in the clouds.

I took the left track (for summer use) which ends at 6600'. A couple took off their snowshoes and hacked their way up a steep, but somewhat short section. I kept my snowshoes on, and took out my ice-axe, hacking up as well. Instead of doing the same traverse (not good with snowshoes on), and went more straigh ahead. Both are risky. Everyone else turned around, except some were looking at me hanging on the steep slope. It took me over 30 minutes to get up. My fingers were so cold and they ached badly. I stopped to refuel and warm my hands, thinking from now on, there'd be no crowds.

Boy, was I wrong! 10 some minutes later, I joined the army coming up from the right (which I took on my way down). It was already noon, and I decided to forgo Camp Muir. Went up McClure Rock, then up to Sugarloaf, which has a flat, but narrow top. The south side is steeper, coming down the north is much easier. Only my footprint here. You can see lines of tracks below me going to Camp Muir.

I waited here until a bit after 1:30pm and then turned around. Still 1.5 mile and 2300' to Camp Muir. That'll be next time.

Coming down, the pristine snowfield has been trampled. Saw a large group dragging their heavy load upsloap. They are training for Denali. The Tatoosh Range barely show up through the clouds. The sky was strangly pink.

I returned to the parking lot ~3pm. There, I ran into H whom I haven't seen for over a year. Checked out the new visitor center. I like the 2nd floor that has benches in front of windows facing the mountain. There's a table with different animals' fur. The free WiFi didn't seem to work. Good that I turned off airplane mode just to check my phone signal. Got a txt from VJ that he was waiting in the car already.

Driving down is slow, even though the road is better. Many small sedans. We made a gas stop. I asked to be dropped off at Tukwila Lightrail station. Back to downtown just before 7pm. Walking home. After food and shower, I was able to take a 20 min nap, before walking to Benaroya Hall.