Saturday, December 23, 2023

2023.12.23. Nexus interview

12/23, Saturday. Drove to Blaine's Trusted Traveler Enrollment Center for the Nexus interview. My Global Entry expired in 2021. Soon after, I applied for Nexus for half the fee ($50 instead of $100). Only this March, I recieved a notice to arrange for an interview. However, for Nexus, all the interview sites are at the US-Canada border. For me, it's Blaine, but not really in Blain, which is reachable by bus. This site is in a strip mall near Birch Bay next to I-5. Thankfully, it's open on Saturdays, so I don't have to take a day off. The interview calendar is quite full. I made this appointment in the summer.

I arrived ~20 minutes earlier, and reported to one of these 3 windows. After handed over my confirmation letter, passport, driver's license, I waited for my name to be called in this lobby. There's a display case with furs of pine marten, fox, beaver, weasel, and some small old aparatus. I was called to talk to a US officer first. He asked me some simple questions (name, address, phone#, reason for applying Nexus). He took a photo of me. Then I talked to a Canadian officer in the next window. She asked me to read about 10 rules printed on the desk, and then pretty much repeated these rules. Both only took a few minutes. Fairly easy. I was told that a card will be mailed to me in 2-3 weeks.