Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023.12.31. Seattle Symphony New Year's Eve Concert + Party

12/31, Sunday. Today's concert is scheduled at 9pm. When I walked in ~8:55, I was given a drink voucher to be used before or after the concert. There were lines at the 3 drink tables. I asked for a bottle of Perrier. Only bottled water is allowed into the auditorium. If you want soda or alcohol, you have to buy a lidded cup to carry your drink in. This takes time to process. I'm cheap and in a hurry.

Beethoven's 9th Symphony is performed every year this time. Today's performance is conducted by Kah Chun Wong from Singapore. Full of energy. I love the voice of the New Zealand baritone Hadleigh Adams. Great volumn. I find the 2 female soloists scratchy. The choir had 53 singers today. All were present throughout the 4 movements. The 4 soloist only came at the 3rd movement. Between each movement, people applauded, ushers led stragglers in -- a bit odd. Supertitle helps me understanding the German verse. The seat is over 90% occupied.

After the concert, everyone poured into the lobby. A band played in the lobby. A table had 2 kinds of paper hats with Happy New Year on them. Ran into LH and LC who were posing for a photo. Drink tables now all had very long lines all the way out of the door. Last time I came to the New Year's Eve concert (2009), there was another musical work before the 9th. No line for the drinks. I felt short-changed. Went home disappointed before the count-down.

Ate an apple. Then I walked to Space Needle for the fireworks. Couldn't believe how many people were on the streets. Cars parked in the middle of the streets. I couldn't even make it all the way to the Space Needle, but close enough to witness the fireworks. The smoke was sinking, and blocking the view the better half of the time. Overall, not bad. Before and after the fireworks, the Space Needle was in T-mobile pink. Large powerful lights rotates around the Needle.

Happy 2024.