Sunday, December 03, 2023

2023.12.3. Calder In Motion at Seattle Art Museum

12/3, Sunday. Went to SAM to see the new Calder exhibition. I had one of those hanging decorations based on Alexander Calder's design. This weekend is free for Bank of America clients. A bit busier than usual.

These don't seem hard to make. They are all very similar. I do like the drawing and these 3 small wire figurines (a bird, a rat, a cow).

Another new exhibition (since last month), is the solo exhibition of Portland artist Elizabeth Malaska, the winner of the 2022 Betty Bowen Award, SAM’s annual award honoring a Northwest artist for their original, exceptional, and compelling work. There are 3 large pieces. Pretty bad in my opinion. The theme maybe okay, but the execution is amateurish. I think I can paint better than this. Perspective are off, angles of the body is awkward. Really don't understand how these awards were judged.