Friday, December 01, 2023

2023.12.1. Figgy Pudding Caroling Competition

12/1. Friday. I went to Freeway Park for its last event of the year. I volunteered once with Freeway Park, and since then, receiving their newsletters. Today, roasting mashmallow over fire, while the Dickens Carolers sang under a canopy. They sing very well, and I liked their costumes. We were giving a skewer with 2 mashmallows, a section of Hershey chocolate, 2 gramcrackers. This is in fact, my first time ever, ate a roasted mashmallow. Thanks to the 3 open fire pits, I wasn't cold. There was hot cocoa, hot tea, and a strange cold drink with cranberry called poinsetta. I didn't like it. I don't think there's any alcohol in this one.

At 6pm, a few of us followed Dickens Carolers walking and singing all the way to Pike Place Market for the 38th annual Figgy Pudding Caroling Competition. Well, I didn't even know that the caroling was happening tonight. It was raining by then. Quite cold. Still a lot of people. Some of them sang in the rain. Some had a canopy. My favorite ones are:
  • SeaChordsMen (participated this Figgy Pudding competition since its 2nd year, good voice partition)
  • Beaconettes (ridiculous wig, fun and local lyrics)
  • Silver Bells (women in mustache, funny lyrics)
However, none of my favorites won the 2 prizes. Best Coral is awarded to a new group, a gospel group of Ethiopia youth. They have no voice partition, other solo with group, one guy didn't even move his mouth, some yoddling which is interesting. Very political choice. The lead singer was kneeling down thanking Jesus when this was announced. Most Creative is awarded to the Pike Place Market's own group. See the above photo with the pink pig outfit. Another political choice. They are at least funny. The top 3 groups that got the most donation ($3000 - $4400) didn't win any prize. Here's the Beaconette on stage singing about Rainier (please give us some warning before you explode). SeaChordsMen closed the event leading the singalong.

A fun evening, and not too late. I got home by 9pm. This is my 2nd tiem attending Figgy Pudding Caroling. Last time was 2019. Next year is on Dec 6th 2024.