Monday, August 09, 2021

2021.8.8-9. End of bloom at Summerland

Last year, my favorite flower hike is the first weekend of August at Rainier from Summerland to Indian Bar. I gave up my permit at Boston Basin this weekend (the road was closed 2 miles before TH, and weather on Sunday was wetter at N. Cascades). Went to Rainier instead, hoping to see similar bloom. Alas, I was too late.

8/8, Sunday, cloudy. Left Seattle ~10am. A long queue at the White River entrance, because only 1 (out of 2) booth was open. Took ~45 minutes. I applied for an overnight permit, which took a bit of time. Reached Panhandle Creek TH ~1pm.

Nothing to note all the way to the big log bridge over Panhandle Creek. After this, the usual aster patch was now mingled with pink fireweed, looked very pretty. A group of backpackers hiked out, one girl stopped to take photos. She said this was the best patch of flowers of her trip. Hearing this, my heart almost sank.

Sadly, very true. Other than pink monkey flowers along the water, the meadows were dry. Lupine was all in seeds, bistort all dried out, a few heather were withering brown. At least the meadow was green, still pleasant to look at.

I headed higher to the same campsite we used last August. Still a tiny patch of snow left. A small creek for me to wash and filter. I didn't bother to bring a stove. After dinner, I headed up to Point 6945. But too cloudy, couldn't see anything to the east. I didn't wait for the sunset, because I was cold. Headed back to the tent, it was very wet already with condensation. My bear can is also wet. It was a cold night. I slid into my 20°F bag, read a few pages, retired early.

Clouds cleared overnight. Good stars.

8/9, Monday. Sunny. Up to shoot a few sunrise photos before breakfast. Packed for a full day, and hiked towards Indian Bar ~7am. Saw a runner, no one else, until ~11am. A large herd of sheep crossed the trail south of Panhandle Gap. Probably the same group of last year. Heather were dried out and brown, lupine in seed. Only on the slope near Indian Bar, I finally saw a carpet of aster, so dense, it made my heart sing. Like last summer, I stopped here for an early lunch. Then, I turned around.

Back along Wonderland trail. Saw probably the same flock of sheep. Met a group of ~5 on their 9th of 10 day trek of entire Wonderland. I asked them which is their favorite part. A girl said this section is pretty spectacular. Below Panhandle Gap, I left the trail and headed east towards Sarvant Mountains, Named after photographer Henry Mason Sarvant. Met 2 sheep here at a patch of blooming lupine. Further up, a large patch of harebells among white buckwheat on dryer soil. Saw 2 hikers coming my way from Panhandle Gap.

There is a track but it soon disappeared. The slope is gentle, easy going. I Stopped here for my "second" lunch, aired my boots, so to leave a large distance between me and the other 2. Great view of the Savant Glacier. You can also see Mt. St Helens.

Banshee PeakContinued up until Banshee Peak, the highest point. Couldn't find any shade to hide. A bit windy for umbrella. Jagged Cowlitz Chimneys to the east look intimidating. The green tarn below Sarvant Glacier looks inviting. To the south, can see Wonderland trail all the way down to Indian Bar. Took a long break here. Headed out shortly after 1pm.

On the way back, started to see day hikers at Panhandle Gap. The connection to the gap is narrow and goes up. Better weather today, so better color of the pond. Met 2 young guys doing Wonderland on their 5th of 6 day trek. I asked one what's his favorite section. Same answer.

By the time I was back at my camp, the tent had dried, the bear can was wet inside. I cleaned the can and the tent bottom as I was packing up. Filtered some water. It was warm. Hiking out under my umbrella. Below Summerland, met 2 rangers with large packs hiking up. The young lady checked my permit. I was back at car ~5:40pm. Stopped at Enumclaw for gas, very warm 78°F.

Have to come back next year at least a week earlier.