Sunday, August 22, 2021

2021.8.22. Tolmie Peak in the clouds

8/22, forecast is mostly sunny. Chilly (high 50°F, windy 15-20mph, with gust of 25mph). I haven't been to Tolmie Peak for maybe 10 years. Happy to go again. About 14 of us met at Green Lake P&R. The hike leader was late, the last girl showed up 10 minutes late. I was in a Prius with 3 others, one is an librarian, so we talked about books, which is nice. Regrouped at a Starbucks in Auburn. Took awhile. Our Prius was the first to arrive at the trailhead, after the long washboard gravel road. After waiting for 40 minutes in the mist, we duct-taped a note on the sign, and headed on to the trail without the hike leader. Turns out that the driver thinks her car is not ready for "offroad" travel - as in her comment.

About 3 kids could keep up with me. We waited at the major junction, and at each steep hills, and then at Eunice Lake. It's a short hike, so no rush. We would continue if we got too cold to wait any longer. The sun never broke the clouds, and it even drizzled a bit. Right before the ridge, there's this nice meadow. Plenty gentium. Withered beargrass -- should come here in July.

The lookout was locked. Walked around the deck. Very cold due to wind. I went down and found a fancy toilet nearby. While waiting for the others, I continued further east. There's a track going further along the ridge. Due to the poor visibility and wind, I returned. Took this photo back from that angle.

Everyone hid behind the lookout to avoid most of the wind. Ate lunch while shivering. Once the group arrived, I took this photo. Then we hiked down. I picked huckleberry on the way, so was slow. At the lake, I nearly lost everyone. Too many side tracks by the lake. Almost at the last mile, we met this last car of 3 people with the hike leader. Not sure how they made it here. They continued up, we hiked out. Waited around at the TH for everyone again. When we drove out, the car said 43°F. No wonder we were all cold. Up on the ridge, it was probably in the mid-30s.

Despite of all the wait around and dreary weather, I didn't enjoyed myself. Maybe because of all the wait, I was forced to talk to my fellow hikers. One young dude did a 9 day backpacking off trail in Patagonia, as part of some leadership training program. Interesting to hear his experience. Also picked up some reading suggestions.