Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Two weeks in Cusco, Peru. 6/12-26.

The trip had a portentous start. We had a minor incident at the airport parking. The alarm clock I bought two days before the trip died on the plane. The next day, my watch stopped ticking. My battery charger went missing after stayed in the hotel storage for half a day, and then my sunglasses. Luckily, as time progressed, things turned out more favorably, especially those unplanned.

Cusco, high in the Andes (about 3400m), was the Inca capital. Very colonial looking now. We used it as a base to explore the surrounding areas. Despite the fact that during my trip, I had vomited, had food poisoning, caught some flu virus (still coughing today), constantly being bugged by peddlers, bad air, garbage and urine on streets, I utterly enjoyed the trip: vibrant streets and markets, handsome colonial buildings, (almost) daily parades, colorful costumes, new (to me) flowers and fruits (my favorite is watery pepino and the disgusting looking yet fragrant cherimoya), rolling hills with ancient terraces (my favorite area is around Maras), massive ruins, and foremost, my traveling companion (who carried my bag and put up my shit).

6/12 - day 1. 7:30 am Monday. Arrived completely sleepy after an overnight layover at Lima airport (whose cleaning staff kept on moving chairs around, which disturbed any possible intention of getting some sleep). La Señora María Gaona from the hotel picked us up. After a welcome coca tea, and dumped our luggage, we decided to check the town out, and pay off the remaining of the organized trek of Inca Trail (independent travelers are no longer allowed on this trail). Had breakfast at the central plaza, lunched at Quinta Zarate further NE. of San Blas, overlooking the city, walked along the Inca walls, gave away some toys to the street kids. Got better oriented.

After a badly needed nap, we visited the small Museo de Arte Precolumbiano (s/16), housed in the renovated colonial mansion of Spanish count of Cabera. Both English and Spanish descriptions emphasizing the artistic creation of the people. Well organized, and open late (till 10pm?).

As the sun went down, some procession started on the Plaza de Armas.