Sunday, November 27, 2022

2022.11.26 Alpujarras - Sierra Nevada

11/26, took the 10am bus to Alpujarras at the foot of Sierra Nevada. It stops in every town along the road, so took 2+ hours. I got off at Bubión at 1350m (~4430') in the valley of Río Poqueira.

I managed to book a hotel room on a wrong date! Went to that hotel, and they wouldn't change the date. So, walked around, and settled down in Hostal Rural Las Terrazas de la Alpujarra. The gentleman there showed me a room for €35. He was very laid back. I liked him and the large terrace. Took the room. Came out with water and some crackers. He was showing 2 girls some hiking trails. Then he said they should take some apples from his own yard. I took a photocopy of the same trail, and 2 blemished apples and went to look for the trail. Never saw those girls again.

My trail started just right (east) side of the road. I followed it (don't see anyone else) for a bit, and then it reaches some road. I had Gaia Map loaded for the vicinity, so I know where I was. Stashed the photocopy in my pack (no use). Followed the road above Capileira all the way to the bridge in La Cebadilla. See the photo above for the town of Capileira (just 1Km north, ~300m higher), and the snow cladded peaks up. However, the higher I was, I actually don't see the snowy mountains anymore. La Cebadilla seems entired abandonned. Grafitti here and there. This church building is the best leftover, windows already broken. Crossed the concrete bridge here (maybe there was a hydro facility before), to the west side of Rio Poqueira. Saw a small group of people here going the opposite direction.

The west side of the valley has an obvious trail, even marked with yellow and white bands. A69. Along the way, saw quite a few abandonned old farm houses. Met 2 solo hikers on this side, one girl, one guy, both fairly young.

The trail crosses another (smaller) bridge back to Capileira.

A cute town, maybe slightly bigger than Bubión. Seems more tourists here to me. It was about 5pm, quite some people out to wait for sunset at various view points.

I walked back to Bubion following the setting sun. Saw one guy with a herd of goats. No highland pigs. A different valley east of here, Teverez is the home of jamon serano. One of the trails here can connect to Teverez.

In the busy season, there's a microbus that can take you to a higher refugio, where you can hike to peaks of Mulhacén and Veleta.

Ate my dinner at the terrace, but it was getting cold quickly after the sunset. I went to bed early. Tomorrow, my bus is at 7am. I was feeling much better after the excercise today.