Sunday, October 07, 2018

2018.10.7. Lookout Mt via Gumjuwac

10/7, Sunday. The only day with forecasted decent weather moved up, and Saturday turned out to be nicer. I postponed my backpack trip and did a day hike. 7 women, 1 dog and 2 guys (one of them is blind) hiked to Lookout Mt from Hwy-35. Still a couple of weeks away for fall color. On the drive here, more leaves had turned color.

We started around 9:30. Fall color of the undergrowth. I noticed only one larch tree that was starting to turn color. That's after the Gumjuwac Saddle. The saddle offers no view, a car parked here. Two ladies went down the wrong trail. We did regroup here on the way down.

I reached the old lookout site around noon, not the first. I forgot my water bottle in the car, so had to stop from time to time to drink the dew from pine needles. When I arrived, despite of the low dark clouds, I could see Hood, Jefferson and the Sisters. To the north, the base of Adams and St. Helens. When Priyanka and the blind Pradeep arrived, only about 30 minutes later, the Sisters disappeared behind the clouds. Then the hail started. I'm glad that I brought my umbrella. I was able to read and eat my sandwich, listening the ice dropping on my umbrella. Didn't hail much. Later, it was misty.

It's eye-opening to witness someone with 0% light perception hike. Yes, he needs a hiking buddy with a bell tied on the leg, walking ahead of him, some verbal cue like "cliff on the right" and "turning left". This trail is not a smooth forest walk. There are rocky sections, and a couple of down trees to climb over/duck under. I was in the car with Pradeep, listening to his plans to get back to mountaineering. He said he could already set up a tent, and do camp chores. He's very cheerful and independent, and he doesn't like to have a guide dog.