Saturday, October 27, 2018

2018.10.27. Valley of the Giant with Build Local Alliance

10/27, Saturday. Cloudy to rain. I don't remember how I knew about this outing, as I had never heard of Build Local Alliance. It was on my calendar since early September, titled as "A Walk in the Woods: from Industrial Trees to the Ancient". I reserved a rental car for this weekend. A week before the event, I received a reminder email, together with contact info. I responded that I was to pick up a rental car at 8am (when the rental office opens), and may run a few minutes late (9:30 rendezvous in Fall City). Ben from Zena Forest suggested me contacting Peter in Portland for a ride, and cc'ed Peter. Thus I got a ride, together with Lynn from Sustainable Northwest Wood. It turned out I enjoyed the ride as much as the walk. Peter turned out to be a local forest farmer, a board member of BLA, extremely knowledgeable and amicable. Some discussion between him (wood producer) and Lynn (wood wholesaler) is interesting. Coincidently, both of them play in some band.

I arrived early (as usual, when I need a ride). Peter and his pickup truck arrived on time (he lives close by). Lynn drove here, about 7-8 minutes late. Then we had to find her a parking space. When we arrived at Fall City ~9:15, a few cars were already there, with Ben holding a list of attendees, and 3 experts. Total about 10 adults, 3 kids, a few no-shows, + organizers.

First stop is one of the many newly logged sites in the area. From Norman Johnson, professor of forest policy and management, I learned some Oregon logging rules: clear cut cannot be more than 120 acres. Every acre, there has to be n trees, some standing log. Rotation is usually 35 years. Debora Johnson pointed out the Salal and Oregon Grapes on the ground, which will be killed by the general practice of spraying herbicide.

Our 2nd stop is to admire a reforested slope, all young trees looking quite healthy.

3rd stop is the former lumber town Valsetz. Peter led the group sing a song of Valsetz, which I'm unable to find it online. A short distance north, where we can see is Laurel Mountain, which I was told to be the 2nd wettest place in US's lower 48.

Finally we made to Valley of the Giant. At the one and only picnic table across the bridge, Gordon Reeves, fish biologist for the PNW Research Station, talked about salmon and trout's freshwater habitats: the land above the creek bed. After lunch, we walked the 1 mile loop amidst pristine forest, where we can admire many old trees, mostly Douglas Fir and some Hemlock. Of course plenty younger trees, and alders and vine maples to add a bit of color. I overheard that this pocket of old growth forest was spared due to a surveyor's mistake. I was looking out for mushrooms, but only found some chicken-of-the-woods. The mother of 2 kids found one young chanterelle. Did meet a few other walkers, maybe ~10.

The road here is gravel, in reasonable shape. Maybe 25 miles, but takes 1:15 hours. The pavement stops very soon west of Fall City.

I was dropped off in downtown ~5pm. Raining. My first time cooking chicken-of-the-wood. They are dry. Tastes more like wood than chicken. May be only good in a soup. I probably won't be bothered with them again.