Saturday, October 13, 2018

2018.10.13. Diamond Peak wilderness

10/12, Friday. By the time I drove out (after dinner and shower), it was almost 9pm. Still hit traffic - an accident on I-5, causing 9 min delay (according to Google). Camped out ~midnight. Clear sky, moon already set, excellent stars. ~37°F, @4000'.

10/13, Saturday. First, I visited Salt Creek Falls, 2nd tallest in Oregon. Very nice. A couple of minutes wheelchair accessible trail to the observation deck. Large parking lot, equipped with a wheelchair accessible restroom (3 flush toilets, but no sink to wash). I followed the right trail down to another viewpoint about half way down the canyon. A landslide here, so watch out your footstep right before the viewpoint. On the way back, met a couple with serious cameras and tripod.

When I returned to the parking lot, already 3 cars. I then followed this 2.5 mile loop to see Diamond Falls, anti-clockwise as described. Minor elevation gain and loss. The trail first followed Salt Creek (seems small, consider the big waterfall it produced a few steps downstream), passing a picnic area, wheelchair accessible trail. After crossing the bridge, it's a normal trail, in excellent condition. For some reason I didn't see the Too Much Bear Lake. A few signed viewpoints over the canyon rim to your right, and a glimpse of the Lower Diamond Falls. Took the 1/4 mile spur trail to go down the base of Upper Diamond Falls, signed "Lower Diamond Falls". This is a must. A very short section (<5 steps) is very narrow (cannot put both feet side by side). The waterfalls is wide and lovely. It reminds me of Proxy Falls, minus the crowd. I washed a peach and ate in peace. A bit chilly here. The main trail soon reach a viewpoint to look down the Upper Diamond Creek. Then it goes over this concrete bridge, and on to a road, and sign for Vivian Lake. I backtracked and turned back to the picnic area. Along the way, saw many rhododendrons trees. Probably looks lovely in late spring. Saw a couple more cars. No one used the picnic area, or on the trail. Maybe too early, too cold.

My main objective this weekend is Diamond Peak Loop, which I planned to backpack 2-3 weeks ago (canceled due to weather). When I check the weather at Yoran Lake, it was supposed to be 25°F. Because I was even cold this morning, I abandoned the backpacking idea, and cut the climb. Did a day hike of the loop, but cut the SW corner by cross-country between PCT and Crater Butte Trail, so I can return in daylight. I started ~10am, finished just ~5:45pm.

First I stopped at Shelter Cove Resort to see Odell Lake, which I marked on my map as early Nov for kokanee and bald eagle. Well, I didn't see any. Not fish even in Trapper Creek. Too late? Odell Lake is reputed to have a biggest run of kokanee in the state.

I parked at Trapper Creek TH (~4900'), just a short spur road wide enough to park on both sides. There were about 5 cars there when I arrived ~10am. Trail starts on the other side of the railroad track, a bit to the right of the crossing. Need to fill a permit here. The trail quickly enters Diamond Peak wilderness.

There are countless lakes and tarns along this loop. Very pleasant. However, the trail is mostly wooded. Along PCT has the best view, because it was more or less at tree line. I did the loop counter clockwise, and headed in Yoran Lake trail, met a guy with heavy pack coming out. He said it was very cold last night, and he liked the loop. Overtook a couple at an unknown lake before Karen Lake, which is very close to Yoran Lake. The rest of the day, I didn't see anyone until back at my rental car. The main trail ends before Yoran, which has a pink ribbon leading the way. Yoran is the largest of these, even has an island or two. I found a campsite on a butte overlooking the lake. I saw a grouse fluttering away.

After Yoran Lake, and few ribbons, I lost the track altogether. Saw Lils Lake, and a pond. Guided by the GPS map, it was fairly easy to get on PCT, still in the woods, but gaining elevation, until about 7000'. Finally the tree thins and more rocks. Trail is easy to follow. View gets better. Not a whole lot of huckleberry red. The mountain was almost without any snow, so didn't look very pretty. I picked this pond by the trail for lunch break. More brown grass than huckleberry.

I should stay on PCT a mile longer, but I was concerned about short day light. I cut across to Crater Butte Trail, passing a couple more ponds. Not a lot of undergrowth, easy to cross country. Saw this fallen sign at the next trail junction. A better place to cut across while still able to make it back by sunset is via Mountain View Creek: less steep, and can check out the camp-able Mountain View Lake (see my trail map below).

The last major lake along this loop is Diamond View Lake. Water level is low, creating wide muddy shore. Already quite woody here, but does offer a view of the mountain.

Fall is a good time to hike in this area, because bugs here are notorious in summer. However, Diamond Peak now is mostly bare, not as pretty as when clad in white snow. The entire loop is ~24-25 miles without side climb to Yoran Peak or Diamond Peak. I probably shaved off 6-8 miles. Driving distance: ~180 miles one way.

The road on the other side of Odell Lake is too rough. I found a pullout on Hwy-58 for this sunset view.

Trail in good condition. Nothing strenuous. My phone registered 57k steps today (2 trails).

See the map of trails and my track. Ignore the red bold line: juristic boundary.

I drove to Bend hoping to soak in Old St Francis School. Too bad, it closes at 8 for public access. I arrived about 7:45pm :(

After a long bathroom break in Bend, I drove towards next trail head at Three Creeks Lake. But I didn't want to camp at such elevation ~6600'. Picked Whychuts Creek Overlook TH at ~3500'. It has an outhouse. Clean. Another night with clear sky. Good stars. 29°F