Sunday, October 14, 2018

2018.10.14 Broken Top half loop

10/14, Sunday. When I arrived at Tam McArthur trailhead (6600'), it was only 19°F. I saddled up, waited to see if it would warm up. But no. I don't think the temperature rose above 40°F today. I headed on to the trail at 8am (still at 19°) hoping to do loop around Broken Top.

The trail starts climbing right away, opposite of Three Creek Lake. But nothing steep. The view of the lake and later the Sisters is obscured by the trees. By the time you reach the rim, the view is incredible. However, this is also the end of the official trail, which makes an easy and rewarding short hike if turned back here. Fortunately there's an obvious trail to follow, even has a fork later for horse. The view is expansive all along. The best of today's loop is from here to No Name Lake. But, it was cold and windy.

There are multiple tracks to follow, without any signs. I made a mistake taking a high route, went by Broken Hand too closely. There were some snow from a few days ago, now frozen solid. Very slippery. After negotiated one short stretch, I decided to back track and used a lower track. There're tracks even lower, or maybe that horse trail is an easier approach. I ended up on the ridge north of the lake instead of east. The lake is emerald green. Utterly beautiful, in contrast with Broken Top's reddish rock. I hid behind a rock from some of the wind to eat my lunch, and contemplating where to go next. Walked up to the top of the rocky hill first to take some photos. It was difficult to pan the phone with frozen and shaky hands.

Back to my lunch spot, I cut north via Squawk Creek (on my downloaded map, as well as on Google, it was called Whychus Creek). Rocks and open country at first. I really liked this red and yellow rock blocking the creek. However, cutting through burned forest is not fun at all. Finally I got on Park Meadow trail. Saw a Hairy(?) Woodpecker. I was not happy to gain elevation again for a few hundred feet, before dropping down to Three Creek Lake.

There were people camped at Driftwood Campground, which I walked by on my way out. Next to the lake. However, you don't see Sisters from here. It was 37°F when I returned to my car ~5pm. It was in mid 40s when I drove back into Sisters. Saw some deer on the way.

I was hoping to get to a nice view for sunset, stopped at a couple of places on the way home, didn't like either of them. So drove straight home.

I really like the first half of my trip. Definitely I'll be back, but need to devise a different route next time.

Much colder than I expected. About 12-14 miles today.