Monday, June 27, 2011

2011.6.26. Pride Parade

Organized by Seattle Pride. I didn't know it's already the 37th, first time I went to watch it. Was fun. Lots of spectators dressed up or wearing almost nothing. Many kids and dogs dressed up by their parents. Originally a gay parade, now turned to anybody who wanted to be expressive. Even a few church groups marched down the parade. Of course, every major organization is here. Amazon employees were dressed in delivery boxes. Macy's has no imagination: just small red star balloons. I like the recycle people: two dressed in plastic cups, wings with plastic bags, one had a huge long dress made of shopping bags. I was hoping to see more drag queens. Not many vendors trying to take this opportunity. I only saw 2 hotdog stands while walking along the entire parade route (one side of it).

I actually didn't know that this was the Pride Festival weekend until I attended a book talk by Armistead Maupin (whom I've never read anything of) at the library on Saturday. I was surprised by the large turn out, and the amount of gay guys in the audience (many of them expressed their gratitude during the Q&A session). He was invited because of the festival. He was here with his husband Chris something. If he didn't mention it, I would never guessed that he was guy, unlike many of my fellow audience members.

After the parade, I went up to Capitol Hill for some more author events at Elliott Bay bookstore. Two streets (a big chunk of those) were fenced up for more music and food/drink. Still a lot of people, some dressed up. Instead of the street fair, I opted for ice cream at the Old School Frozen Custard. Very creamy and had a smooth texture. I had the daily flavor (cheese cake) and the everyday chocolate (for $4.65). The chocolate flavor is not very intense. The only other flavor is vanilla. For a lighter option, a week ago, I had cucumber sorbet and goat milk frozen yogurt at Molly Moo (for $5.5). Both were excellent. They have more flavors to choose from. However, on a sunny day, there is always a long line.