Monday, June 06, 2011

2011.6.5. Mt Si.

8 miles, 3500 ft. Last time I was here was maybe 15 years ago, probably my first real hike, definitely nip in the bud of my hiking interest.
Finally a summer-like weekend. Parking lot was completely full. Within 55 minutes on the trail, encountered 100 people coming down. Took 2 hours to reach the top ridge, where view finally breaks out, huffing and puffing all the way. By then, my count was approaching 400. Maybe another 100 sitting there enjoying the 360°view: I-90 below with Snoqualmie River, Rainier to the south, Sammamish and Seattle to the east, Mt Baker to NE. A bit hazy today.
Took over 1 hour get to and back from the top of the Haystack - very dangerous. Not too many attempted this. Still some small snow patches at its base. Replenish my water bottle. On the way down (~1.5 hours), probably another 100 people still going up. Quite tired, a good exercise.

Direction to Mt Si: I-90 to exit 32. Turn north over the freeway for 0.5 mile to North Bend Way. Turn left (west) for 0.25 mile. Turn right (north) on Mount Si Road for 2.5 miles to the giant parking lot. Closer to town, for hikers heading to Little Si, people let you park in their property for some cash.