Sunday, October 06, 2024

2024.10.6. Sculpture Rock + Leavenworth OctoberFest

10/6, Sunday. I got picked up at 9:30am. Not early, but I only slept for ~4 hours. Same last few days. Totally lack of sleep. We were heading to Leavenworth. I have reserved a 2bd condo for Sunday night for an early morning hike on Monday.

We took I-90. Checked out Sculpture Rock on the way, off Hwy-97. Swauk Campground is already closed for the season. Unable to drive in. I'm worried of potential break-in, so we took turns. I walked ~1 mile to the end of the campground, got the trail to the rock. Instead of the loop, I took the same way out (shorter), so I could explorer a possible closer access. Found a highway pull-out closer to the TH. Walked back to the car on Hwy-97, drove to this pull-out, and waited for my partner visiting the rock.

The short trail is half flat, half going up a treed hill. Then suddenly, you see this large eroded sandstone jutting out of the ridge. Quite interesting.

Continued towards Leavenworth. Stopped at a farm stand, bought a box of apples+pears, $23.

Checked into Worldmark Leavenworth. Large ground. Older style. Not only 2 bedrooms, there's another wall bed in the living room. Walked to town via Waterfront Park along Wenatchee River. Shared a litre October Fest beer and a Schweinshaxe at Ludwig's. The skin is a bit tough to chew. Meat is cooked right. Quite a lot for 2 people.

October Fest here seems only for Friday and Saturday. The beer garden was deserted on this Sunday. Plenty tourists walking on the street. Pretty warm this afternoon. Checked out the art vendors before return. Drove to Dan's market for some meat, cheese and bread, to make sandwiches for tomorrow. Went to sleep early, set alarm for 5:30am.