Saturday, October 12, 2024

2024.10.12. Stiletto Lookout

10/12, Saturday, 11 of us met at Northgate at 6:30am. 1 person overslept, didn't show up. My driver drives a Tesla, and it was 80% charged. In order to make our way back with certainty, we stopped in a supercharge in Burlington for half an hour to top off her battery.

Driving through Rainy Pass on Hwy-20 is surreal. So many cars parked along the highway half mile out both directions, at least, many of them couldn't fit out of the white edge line. Thankfully, the Bridge Creek TH parking area wasn't overflowing. It was full when we pulled in. But our hike to Stiletto Lookout starts on the south side of the highway. We parked in the pullout by the highway.

Last time, when O.K. and I came here in on July 24th, 2022, the creek crossing was too swifty, and we gave up. Now, it was such an easy crossing. Some hikers in my group brought watershoes. Going south on PCT for 10 minutes, and take the left fork, crossing State Creek. Shortly after, take the right fork (Stiletto Spur trail), crossing Copper Creek. This is also an easy crossing now. It's all slightly going downhill. Again, shortly after, take the left fork. Started gaining elevation, and then zigzag up. Fall color, mostly brown grass, larch across the East Fork McAlester Creek valley, not on our side. Once we were above the tree level (~6000'), started seeing red huckleberry color, no berries.

Finally, at about 6800', we are in larches. Good view towards, yes, hwy-20. Finally, I reached the lookout site. ~4 people in my group were already there. Long broad ridge, easy to spread out. I was starving, past 1pm already. Yes, I ate 2 bars on the way here. Considering my breakfast was at 5:30am, this is late lunch.

After chowing down my sandwich, I scrambled down to follow the ridge to the next bump. Great view looking back. Stiletto Peak looks too daunting to try. A few in my group also came over. I went back to wait. Chatted with an Indian girl and a Polish guy. We stayed here for about an hour. Met a few backpackers. I think I'll come here in the future to camp at Stiletto Lake, and maybe loop back from Copper Pass.

Headed back as we came. Maybe ~3300' gain, a little less than 10 miles RT. Fairly easy and straightforward. My driver dropped me off at my building, since she also lives in downtown.