Sunday, October 29, 2023

2023.10.29. Gothic Peak

10/29, Sunday. 19 of us met at the TH to Gothic Basin. I was in the car of B.K., because his car was coming back without dinner. It has been cold (probably 0°C last night), and I packed an extra down jacket, a thermo bottle of hotwater, microspikes and helmet.

Spikes turned out to be useful, but only on trail, and only for a short section just below the basin. I used them only on the way in, later on the way out, it was warmer and no longer all icy. Frozen dirt and frozen water is very pretty, water running under ice is also cute.

Gothic Basin is a winter wonderland now. Snow is powdery. Spikes are useless. Pass this pond first (where folks usually camp here in summer).

Soon after, is Foggy Lake. It is more beautiful than in summer. By the time I arrived at the lake, I was way behind the 5 people ahead. I was more or less with Cass and B.K., both of them followed me heading to Gothic Peak. I don't see the rest of the group until back to car. Due to the snow condition, our goal this time doesn't include Del Campo.

The easy summer trail going up to Gothic, now is more tricky, especially on steeper slopes, including traversing the slope. Cass and B.K. turned around. So I continued alone. Saw all the backpacks at the bottom of the summit scramble. I dropped mine too, and climbed to the summit. The view is incredible. More impressive than in summer (see my last summer's trip report).

The 5 in my group were waiting for me at the summit. Warm, no wind. Even I stayed for 25 minutes. Got down to my pack so I can drink and eat lunch. Then, I headed down first, since I'm the slowest.

I decided to head down straight, D.R. agreed with my calculation. It's safer. No traverse on steep slope, and also got rid of one steep rock manouver. Everyone followed, even the couple not in my group. We got down to the basin with 2 small ponds, and then traverse south to hit the main trail. It's flat here. Had to scramble quite a bit to find a spot for bio-break. Very open here. Thus, I was again the last one of my group. Then, there's a very short section of steep veggie slope, which stopped Cass and B.K. Slippery.

Didn't go to the lake on the way out. Near the trail junction and the road, we saw a lot of Angel Wings mushroom. Everyone, except for the German, went picking. Some were frozen. I didn't care for Angel Wings. So picked some, put in my helmet, and hiked out before the rest 4.

My driver, B.K. and V were waiting in the car. Without the sun, it was chilly. Waited a few more minutes for M. to come out of her mushrooms. Cass decided to switch from D.R.'s car to sqeeze between me and M. because we don't stop for dinner. Smooth drive home. Not a bad sunset. Big moon.

Total: ~10 miles, 3900'.

Update: I don't know why, my legs were still very sore till Friday. Not enough excercise in the last 2 weeks, or maybe it was cold.