Sunday, July 30, 2023

2023.7.30. Goat Ridge - Snowgrass Flat loop

7/30, Sunday. 4 of us did this classic loop in the Goat Rocks Wilderness. I knew I'd be lagging behind, because I had hiked with the other 3 before, all much faster than me. None of them had been to Goat Rocks before.

Got up at 4am, walked to Olive Way I-5 ramp to wait for my pickup. G.H. lives on Capitol Hill, so we waited together. Then drove to pick up E.S. D.R. drives fast. We arrived at Goat Ridge TH at 8am, and managed to score a parking spot close by. Maybe it's a Sunday thing. All morning, we encountered backpackers hiking out.

We started at the Goat Ridge trail, going clockwise. Soon, I was lagging behind. It was dusty. The 3 of them took a detour to Goat Ridge Overlook, so I took a break and waited at the next trail junction. The view improved as we entered Jordan Basin. Flowers were good, but no lupines. At the camping area, we took a break, so E.S. filtered water. Both pink and yellow monkey flowers.

Continued to the Lily Basin Trail. Turned left to go to Hawkeye Point. I took a short cut to the camping site I used 3 years ago. Only one snow patch left. Above that, quite some mariposa lily. Aster were paintbrush were decent. A lot of pasque flower in seeds. Again, no lupine.

Almost no snow going up to Hawkeye. Took a long Break at the summit. G.H. chased a chipmonk around with his Cannon.

E.S. took the trail back. The rest of us went down in a bee line to Goat Lake. Some loose terrain first. Not too good. At the lake, D.R. and G.H. swam. I only washed my feet, already too cold. Quite a lot of people here.

Continued east on Lily Basin trail, loosing ~200'. A small trail goes up left (NE), passing a camping area, now almost no snow left. Higher, more rocks. Met a group of 3 scrambling down rock pile on the edge of a snow field. We turned north to follow a dirt trail up to the ridge. It's a great ridge walk. Views on both sides. Saw a herd of sheep down north (Packwood Lake Basin?).

This trail hits PCT below Old Snowy. Brand new trail signs at the junction. We took to Old Snowy. It's a fairly easy scramble. Great view at the summit. Quite windy. We took a long break here. Contemplating on Ives. In the end, 3 of us bailed. Coming down the ridge seems too loose to me. Took the same trail down. Then followed PCT south. Some larger snow patches here. I restocked my water bottle.

Meanwhile, D.R. scrambled to Ives. These photos are his. He claimed that it's easier than he expected, and 90% has trail to follow. The rest 3 of us took our time. Met 8 PCT northbound thru-hikers. I chatted with 3 of them. Most skipped CA Sierra due to heavy snow. They started end of April. One Belgium guy plowed through the Sierras. He started end of March. One said he really liked the desert section.

We waited for D.M. at the large junction of PCT and Snowgrass trail. Hiking out is straightforward. Reached the car ~7:30pm. Got home late. Maybe 15 miles, 5100'. With all the long breaks, it wasn't too tiring.