Sunday, July 23, 2023

2023.7.23. Tatoosh Peak

7/23, Sunday. Did a day hike to Tatoosh Lookout. Didn't go down to Tatoosh Lakes.

I posted this hike, 6 other folks signed up, but all dropped off except for one. Worked out well, as M.Y. is almost my speed. He's also more knowledgable, so we kept conversation going during the drive.

I brought 3 litres of water for the warm weather, which was good, as M.S. ran out of water. There's only one small stream by the trail about 2 miles up. I did bring a filter, but didn't need to use it, because I brought extra water.

Met a nice couple along the trail, about our speed, because we staggered each other multiple times. Chatted with them at the summit. The guy is from Madagascar. They both wore some Marathon T-shirts, but never ran a full Marathon:-)

Flowers are not as good as what I've seen here before. Either I'm 1-2 weeks too early, or it's too dry and flowers simply withered. Almost no lupines. Few paintbrushes (both scarlet and magenta). Tigar lily was very good.

Bugs were not bad, maybe due to the dry weather. More big flies than mosquitoes at the summit. Maybe more mosquitoes near the lakes (which we didn't go).

We didn't stop for gas, only for bathroom. M.Y. had some issue with the heat, which is odd, as he grew up in a deserty country.

I took the bus at 8:26pm (once an hour).