Saturday, July 29, 2023

2023.7.29. Mount Pugh

7/29, Saturday. Instead of backpacking in Goat Rocks, (I couldn't find anyone to go with), a small group wanted to do the Goat Ridge Snowgrass loop as a day hike on Sunday. So, I signed up a day hike to Mout Pugh on Saturday last minute and was able to hitch a ride with DK from Mercer. We picked up Jo from Ashway at 7. They are both faster than me, but not as good at scrambling.

No parking lot, just pullout at the TH, so cars are parked along the road. Yoko pulled in right after we parked. She was here to check flowers. I made a note to connect with her later. She's an experienced climber.

We started hiking ~9:10. The lake is about 2 miles in, and not many bugs. We didn't make a stop. This is the last water source. At the meadow below the flowery slope, we made a break, about another 2 miles in. Some mosquitoes, but not too bad. The flowery slope of last time (mid August 2019) had few flowers. No excuse to take break! We made to the Stujack Pass fairly quickly. Soon, we walked into clouds.

DK stashed his poles. I really like this ridge. Flat-ish. Good view on both sides. Some sections are narrow, but with good track. Rocks are solid here.

Then, it's scramble time. We stashed our poles. They put on helmet. There's a large group on this rock in front of us, so it's a good idea for helmet. The rocks are easy to grab and not too many loose ones, I didn't bother to bring a helmet. So I had to climb fast, and pass the large group. This photo was taken on the way down.

Once reached the top of this rock, the trail becomes visible again. I took out my trekking pole. This part is still a bit rocky with narrow path. But all very solid. No danger. This photo was taken on the way down. Very cloudy on the way up.

Once you get here, the trail goes to the right (south) zigzag from a green slope, instead of going straight. It now becomes very easy. On the way down, we ran into Yoko on her hunt for flowers. She said she didn't find what she was looking for, and needs to return next year in June. She told me that this Campanula Laciocarpa is not a common harebell. We saw this in a couple more places. All only on this slope.

We made to the summit at about 12:15, only a bit over 3 hours! That's 5300' gain! Definitely a good workout by going with people who are faster than me. Well, no view at all. Thanks to the cloud, the temperature was pleasant all day. The clouds shifting in and out, never really cleared. We waited till after 1:30, and started to head down. I made a wrong turn at some point on the big rock, and had to retrack. There are cairns, so watch out the turn. Afterwards, it was straightforward. Funny, that I saw some guy who went to the same wrong side as I did, so had to call out to him.

Dropped Johannes at Northgate to pick up his bike, and then I got dropped off by the QFC on Mercer. I bought some food before going home. Quite a satisfying day: a beautiful destination not too taxing. Tomorrow will be much longer and farther.