Tuesday, June 07, 2022

20.22.6.7. Tiger by bus

6/7. Sunny. Took 2 days off for an overnight trip. However, I hurt my back on Saturday so canceled my RSVP. I made a rental car reservation, but I had to cancel, because I lost my driver's license at ACT theatre on Sunday. Still I didn't want to stay home on a sunny day. Took a bus to Issaquah to hike Tiger. V. joined me. Not sure where to park, we agreed to meet at Highpoint TH (large parking lot) at 10:20.

Took West Tigar 3 trail, cut off to Cable Line trail (steeper) to Tigar 3, and then continue to Tigar 2, and last Tiger 1. V is much faster than me going up. We stopped on each summit to take photos. Clear cut on the top looks ugly, but it cleared the view. On a clear day like today, Olympics and the Sound to the west, Rainier to the south, Baker to the north. On Tiger 1, you see Glacier Peak, and more peaks to the east. It's the highest. Just don't look down: what a carnage! I hope in 20 years, the dead branches will rot or be burned, and grass will claim the summit. I originally planned to go to Poo Poo Point for view, but decided to skip it, now we have better views here.

Back the same way, but didn't use Cable Line to go down. Back at TH shortly after 2pm, so he can go to a movie with wife ~3pm. I continued to Round Lake (ugly, but I saw a bear 2 years ago nearby under the power lines.), on the way, visited the rusty bus again. Then the Traditional Plateau trial to East Sunset Way TH. There's a small parking lot which belongs to the city, would be a better meeting spot. From Highpoint TH, it's about 7 miles and 2900'. For me an extra ~300', but ~4 more miles (to/from bus stop). I think I'll do this as an after work hike, or sunset hike (need to look at bus schedule).

I watched a recorded training video on Youtube, and found it reasonable. So gave it a try this time. I have been hiking all wrong.
  • train at least 40 minutes each time (twice a week is recommended) when fasting (so your body will get used to switch to digest fat), and do not refuel until the end (so your body will NOT be habituated to wait for the quick energy boost).
  • go slow and do not rest. Slow enough that you can continue without stopping. Carry an occasional conversation, able to breath through your nose is a good indication of not going too fast. This way, your body won't be habituated for a rest whenever tired.
  • you should be able to recover in a day.
I didn't stop until on Tiger 3 (at some point, maybe 10 minute before the summit, I felt the need for sugar. But I didn't refuel, as long as I wasn't trying to go fast, I was able to continue), and didn't eat until we were on Tiger 1. From the Highpoint TH parking to Tiger 3 is 1 hour. Good training. Apart from Tigar, it's difficult to find a longer than 40 minute up-slope in town.

On the way back, stopped at Uwajimaya, picked up some pink strawberries. They are a disappointment. Tasted the same as regular red ones.