Thursday, June 02, 2022

2022.6.2. Bruce - the musical

6/2, Thursday. A preview of the musical Bruce at Seattle Rep. Adapted from the book The Jaws Log by Carl Gottlieb, who was rewriting the screenplay at the request of his friend, the 26 year-old little know director Steven Spielberg. It's a journey of perseverance of the creation of the movie Jaw. Quite gripping and entertaining. It shows you how a group of friends can do when standing with each other.

I really like the stage design, simple and clever: a 3x3 grid hinting people from mulitple locations, and then the grid moves out, revealing the seaside town (all by projection).
I also like the use of spotlight to stylize monologue, while others fade (added slow motion).
Music by Richard Oberacker. Book & Lyrics by Robert Taylor and Richard Oberacker. I only like a few songs. I wish I could hear clearly all the lyrics. Those I could decypher are very funny. Why musicals don't use super-titles? I didn't get any words in this song by the Ausie couple.

Tonight is the first performance, a preview. The show was stopped once. I didn't see any flaws. Maybe some mechanical gadget stopped working for awhile. It was resumed in about 5 minutes.

A rather large ensemble in this small-ish theatre.