Saturday, March 12, 2022

2022.3.12. Jolly Mountain snowshoe

3/12, Saturday, cloudy. Rain was in the forecast. My overnight trip was postponed. I joined a day hike to Jolly Mountain. Had a bit of mist on the way. Weather turned out to be quite good east side of the Cascades. We had total of 13 people + 1 dog.

Snow right from the parking lot off WA-903. My first real hike in months. Don't have the hiking legs any more. We followed NFD-4315, cut off some of the zigzag until out of forest. Some of these cutoffs were very steep. From then out, it's on the ridge with open views. Beautiful winter wonderland. I put snowshoes on.

I was in the second batch we reached the summit, quite slower than those ahead. We all made it. The last person got there ~15 minutes after me. I was the "photographer", since I don't want to be in the photo. The view is excellent. On the way down, we glissade a sections. I hit a snag of broken tree in the snow, got a big gash on my butt, and my pants had 2 large holes.

About 12-13 miles, 4200'. The group went to 2 restaurants in Cle Elum, first about to close (9pm). I don't eat indoors, so stayed out in the car. At least no one would see the holes on my pants.

More photos from others in my group.