Sunday, December 05, 2021

2021.12.5 Progreso - day trip #3 from Merida - Wintering in Mexico, part 6

12/5, Sunday. At 11am, I was picked up by a small but new van. AC in full blast. Already one tourist on board: Damiá from Catalonia, who became my translator for the trip. We had some trouble finding the next tourists, a couple from Columbia. Just 4 of us.

First stop, Dzibilchaltún. (M$258?). The driver waited at the gate in the shade. He gave us 45 minutes. The small museum was closed (due to COVID). There are a few statues outside of the museum. The Temple of the 7 Dolls was fenced off. We could climb everything else. sacbr The long and straight Sacbe (raised paved road) is wide and obvious. It leads to the "city". In the middle of this Mayan "city", there is an open Spanish church, a 16th century ruin. Behind the "city" is a cenote. Too bad, that was closed too due to COVID. The site is quite hot. Good that I brought my umbrella.

2nd stop, or rather continuous stop along the narrow lake on hwy27. We saw flamingos here, on both sides of the highway. Our destination is Laguna Rosada, a small salt evaporation operation. But the color is the same as the rest of the large lake. None of us was willing to pay extra to walk between those salt ponds. It's not worth driving this far. So, we drove back, on the way, made a few stops so we can take photos. Some homes on the north side look very dilapidated.

3rd stop, Corchito ‐ an "ojo de agua" for swimming. 90 peso. The large parking lot and shopping plaza is very close to the main road to Progreso. There, you wait for a boat to take you to the other side of the lake. A nice waterway was ringed with fences. You are dropped at the changing area, where you can get a locker and life jacket (extra money). A nice walkway along the water way among the mangroves to and from the 2 "cenote"s. There are fish in the water, about 10-20cm. Saw termite mounds here too. The first smaller pool is called El Corchito, right after the booth of life jacket. The 2nd larger pool is called Pajaros. Both have sediment in the water. There's a 3rd tiny one close to El Corchito, the water is clear. The trail was blocked, but there was a sign. I asked the guy watching over El Corchito if I could go take a peek, he said yes, just I couldn't swim there. The short trail was a bit muddy and not maintained. I could see spring coming out to this little one. The spring water was piped to El Corchito. After I went, Damia and the Columbia guy walked there too. The Columbia lady didn't swim at all. She was pregnant with a boy. Then I went swimming (at the time unaware of the larger pool). The water is refreshing. The surrounding is shady. Quite relaxing. A little too busy (noisy) for my liking. I went back on the same boat as the Columbians. Damia was already waiting for us at the other end.

The last stop is the town of Progreso, a port where cruise ships dock. No cruise ship today. We settled for lunch first, right on the beach. My 500 peso ticket is transport only. I brought food, so went to OXXO to buy a beer, and ate with my fellow passengers. The driver didn't join us. The beach is very wide, with tons of palapas of various restranants. Itenerante vendors walk through these and try to sell trinkets. The food looks very good. However, it was slow. By the time their food arrived, I've finished eating mine. I took off right before the sunset, while they were in the middle of their food.

I walked on the sand to Muelle Chocolate (not sure why the name). The sand here is not the finest, but the beach is very wide. A lot of people enjoy the water and the breeze. Saw some fishermen, tiny fish, 1 crab they caught. Letters of Progreso as well as Yucatan. Will be lit at night. I headed back towards our van at 6:30pm (the driver told me he planned to leave then). On the way ran into the 3 of them and the driver. So we walked to Chocolate Pier again, now in artificial light. The temperature now is very pleasant. Still as many people, more noise (or music), a lot of lights. Then the driver walked with me and Damia to the 2nd Progreso letter: it's prettier, but on the east side of the town. We drove off around 7:30. I got dropped off last. Took out my half cooked lunch from the fridge and finished it. A nice tour.