Sunday, May 30, 2021

2021.5.29-30. Blewett Pass - Icicle Ridge

Memorial weekend. Warm. One of the objectives is looking for tweedy.

5/29, Saturday. 1st stop: Red Top Lookout. ~7 miles on wide but bumpy forest road. The parking lot is not on Google map, but it was clearly signed. WTA's direction works perfectly. Quite busy (at least 20 cars in 2 parking lots), lots of kids.

The decommissioned lookout is only a half mile walk. But good walking shoes are needed. Loose rocks. On the way (even by the road), a lot of spring beauty. Some glacier lily, trillium, silver crown. I found a few yellow bells, a rare Washington Twinwood.

The lookout has a sign with a short history. A narrow veranda wraps around. The door locked, shutters down. View is great all around, especially the Stuart Range to the west. Could see Adams and Rainier today.

Continued onwards north, a guy was setting up a large ham radio antenna. Down the ridge on the trail, to the junction with Teanaway Ridge trail. Continue north to an open field, where a couple of groups of family were digging the dirt. There's supposed to be thunder eggs and agate here. I don't really know what to look for, quickly abandoned rock flipping. Besides, I like the slope covered by grass and flowers, instead of the scar. Back to the junction, and followed Teanaway Ridge trail back to the parking lot. Had lunch there.

Tweedy2nd stop is Tronsen Meadow. Very bad road (1.6 mile). We saw the rare Tweedy here last May. Sure enough, they were blooming. Found them around 4500' and again 5000'. Such a beautiful flower. I walked up to the road junction (FR-9712). Saw rockcress, shooting star, balsamroot. Encountered 2 people on my way up, and a couple on my way down. Probably should continue to Naneum Creek for more flowers.

tentDrove to Icicle Creek for the night. My planned camping spot was taken. Found a smaller site. Another objective of this weekend is trying out my newly acquired $25 (+tax) tent. No vestible, too short, probably leaky if rained. Otherwise, quite usable for car camping. 3.5lb. Didn't bother to put up the rain cover.

5/30, Sunday. Late start. Hiked up Fourth July Creek to Icicle Ridge lookout. Crossed the creek twice earlier on. lupineSaw one tweedy at ~5000', yellow current and mariposa lily at lower elevation. Tons of lupine, then penstemon, jacob's ladder. My buddy was still suffering from headache caused by last weekend's fall, so he turned around. It was hot and dry on the slope. I was sweating profusely. Made multiple snack/water breaks. At higher elevation, burnt trees. The higher the better view. Thankfully, the clouds moved in when I was close to the ridge (already 4000' above the road).

The ridge was still covered in snow. Fairly flat here. I cut the zigzag and headed straight to the lookout, bypassed a couple ahead of me. The last rock requires pulling myself up by the iron rods. See my last June's photo. A bit windy on the top, so I got down to have lunch behind some rocks. The 360° view is exellent. Despite of the clouds, better view this time. I could see Glacier Peak, and many other peaks to the north, as well as the Enchantments.

Down the same way, nothing to report. I headed down at 2:30, was pretty fast, and got to the TH at 4:34. Waited to be picked up. Drove back home after a gas stop. Smooth sailing. Probably more traffic on Monday.