Wednesday, May 26, 2021

2021.5.26. Dog Mountain

5/26, Wednesday. Cloudy. I took a day off to visit my favorite flower destination in May: Dog Mountain. Now, it's a long drive (3.5-4 hours from Seattle). On the way, detoured to Mima Mound. Too late: only saw 2 camas.

I arrived at the trailhead ~5:30pm. The parking lot was ~60% full. Took Augspurger Mountain trail up. Less crowdy. Met maybe 5-6 hikers. Forgot my water bottle in the car :( Saw a lot of blue-dick at low elevation, a bunch of clarkia on rocks. Lots of rocks (larger size than gravel) were spread over the trail. I actually stepped on one rock wrong and tumbled down the slope at one spot. At the turn to Dog, finally on the meadow stretch. I was about 1 week too late for flowers, most balsamroot was withering. However, still beautiful.

I found a large rock to sit and had dinner, waiting for the sun to set. A bit of wind, got somewhat chilly. A few tripods here and there. Clouds were too widespread. I headed out before the sun dipped down the horizon. Back at the TH ~9:30pm. Driving home is a bore. Dozing off, and had to pull into two rest areas to refresh. Filled gas. Got home safely.