Sunday, May 16, 2021

2021.5.15-16 Thunder Mountain Lake - snow camping

5/15, Saturday. 8 of us met at P&R at 7am. 3 cars. One lady (T) rode in one car, and her pack and boots in another. I was in a Jeep with B, only 2 seats, along the way listening to his spotify (AI recommendation influenced by his 10 year-old daughter). One story is fascinating: a woman revived after 6 hours of cardiac arrest. After a long stop at a Starbucks in Monroe to use the toilet and get caffinated, we arrived at Surprise Creek TH ~9am (had to wait for a train to pass). Our objective this weekend is Thunder Mountain Lakes (Caltopo map). Our hike leader, M, let us weigh our packs. Mine was at 27.5 lb, the lightest. Won't get lighter, because we have to carry our poop out. B's is ~20 lb heavier. He brought a couple of cans of beer, and all possible gear (snowshoes, crampons, helmet, ice-axe). Half of the team wore their helmets. I didn't bring crampons or helmet. Another lady brought a bottle of sparkling wine!

I was ready by 9:10, the rest of the group was slow strapping their snowshoes and sleeping pad. We entered the Alpine Lakes Wilderness boundary a few minutes in. With all the shade, we hit snow patches pretty soon. The trail is well engineered, with stairs and boardwalks. However, now snow covered most of the boardwalk. Surprise Creek is running fast, multiple small side creeks, and whenever they cross the trail, they cut a ditch in the snow, so you could actually see the trail. In less an hour, we needed GPS to "follow" the trail. S. charged ahead, leading the wrong direction multiple times, because he prefers compass and printed map. K, B, and I were checking GPS map our phones constantly. Two slower ladies M & M were so slow, that after a couople of waits, at the bridge crossing (1 mile in), M gave them a walkie-talkie and a beacon. The rest 6 of us headed onward without them.

Surprise Lake1 mile later, it opened up a bit, and you could see the steep hills on both sides. I took my umbrella out. However, the elevation picked up. It gets steep before easing out into the lake basin. I need both hands, so stashed away my umbrella. We didn't reach Surprise Lake until after 1pm, and I was starving. Had lunch in the shade looking out to the lake, already thawing on the edges. Very pretty. The walkie-talkie buzzed. M. Walked back to get better reception. The 2 slower ladies were giving up.

From the lake up, the slope is quite steep. PCT goes through here with zigzags. However, now all under the snow, no hint of any trail. We just picked our way up, following GPS map. B called for rest a couple of times, he was almost panicking, even though he was on crampons (an over kill, imho). M didn't wear any traction device, just boots. K and I were ahead making steps. We reached Trap Pass ~4:20pm, about 1300' up from the lake. Yes, slow. You can see Trap Lake below. There's supposed to be a trail going down. Of course, we couldn't see. B claimed he would camp here, didn't wish to continue. There isn't enough space, maybe for 1 tent. After some rest, he relunctantly followed the rest.

Instead of keeping up on the ridge (pretty narrow with rocks and trees), we took to the right (west), dropping down a bit before going up. S was charging ahead. B needed another rest. I kept closer to the ridge, to follow my map. I met up with the group before the ascent to the ridge below Slippery Slab. ~6100'. Already after 5pm, we set up our tents here. View is excellent west, north and east. The south is blocked by Slippery Slab.

After pitching my tent, a bit away from the others: higher, and half sheltered by trees. I tried to dig a trench, but got bored 10 minutes in, only thigh high, shoulder wide. I'm pretty happy with my new snow shovel. I also dug a small ditch by my tent door to rest my feet, and cooking gear. We ate dinner watching the sun to set slowly. Cresent moon to the west. The sky didn't darken until after 9pm.

5/16, Sunday. Warm. 80°F in the city. Woke up ~3am to use the trees. Not too cold. There was still ice in my water bottle (in the tent). The stars were brilliant. Moon was gone. Milky Way was up. Took awhile to fall back to sleep. Sun woke me up next. Missed the proper sun rise. Took a couple of photos and went back to sleep.

Got up around 7, laid my sleeping bag on the trees. Then, cooked breakfast, packed the sleeping bag and pad, waiting for the snow to soften. I laid my water bottle in the sun to melt, and it rolled down the ridge. At 8am, I checked with M that I'd be back at 9:30, so I could be ready for his departure time: 10am. With my ice axe and an empty pack, I headed down the ridge. Picked up my water bottle first, then continued south towards Thunder Mountain. This photo is looking back at the camp (marked in red).

The terrain is gentle, rolling snow fields. I should have worn snowshoes. View to the east, below the jaggard ridge. I didn't go down to the lake for the sake of time. Walked on to the knoll of 6600', just below Nimbus Mt. for a 360° view. This is the view to the south: upper Thunder Mountain Lake just below me, already thawed on the edge, lower Thunder Mountain Lake in the shade. Countless snowy peaks.

At 9, I headed back. Arrive at the camp ~9:35, and packed up at 10. Not the last person to be ready. Going down a steep slope is always worse. I slipped a few times, but with soft snow and plenty of trees, you don't slide far. Saw ~10 people once we were below Surprise Lake. Back to the car ~3pm. As always, traffic jam on Hwy 2. 40+ minute delay. B is an exellent driver, knows the back roads. We were back ~15 minute ahead of the other car. Waited in the parking lot, chatting with T's BF, who came to fetch her. Her backpack was in B's car. One of the slow ladies also came to the P&R to return M's walkie talkie and beacon, so we got to hear about her trip. All is well.