Sunday, October 30, 2016

2016.10.30. OMS annual mushroom show

10/30, Sunday afternoon (noon-5). Oregon Mycological Society organizes its annual fall mushroom show at World Forestry Center's Miller Hall. Even though the venu is also in Forest Park, it would take me 1:15 to walk, or 40 minutes by bus but leave 10 minutes later. I wasn't feeling so well, and it was raining, I took the bus. A line for the $5 admission. Probably a larger turnout than OMS had anticipated. Very crowded for the space.

3 talks at 1:15, 2:30 and 3:45. I missed 1/3 of the first talk about starting mushroom picking. 2nd talk is about the common fall mushrooms. Even though I'm not a true beginner, I enjoyed both talks. Didn't go to the last one, given by a nurse about poisonous mushroom.

Mushrooms are staged on separate tables with green, red and white labels. They are a bit mixed up. On the peripheral are tables that sell membership, books, souvenirs, photos, mushroom growing kits. A tasting table was dishing out soups made with mushroom, which I tried two kinds. Both tasty, but they came in small quantities: half a cup. A table shows the 5 stages of commercial cultivation of mushroom. A table that have a few mushrooms which they encourage you to squeeze and smell.

A couple of hours well spent.