Saturday, January 30, 2016

2016.1.30. Marriage of Figaro at Seattle Opera

Seattle Opera has a new artistic directory, Aidan Lang, after Speight Jenkins' 30 year reign. My first time to hear him conduct as well as speak. Marriage of Figaro is a new production brought from New Zealand Opera (where Lang was before coming to Seattle). I like the stage set: the sliding doors, the oval windows, I'm not too keen on the projection of the last scene: 2 curving walls with indiscernible patterns which is supposed to be a pine grove. Definitely a fresh look. I'm looking forward to seeing his other productions. BTW, this artical is an interesting read. I don't care for the costume: too grey. I especially like countess Bernarda Bobro's voice.

After the opera, we went to the Allen room for Q&A, led by the former education director, now caption titlist Jonathan Dean. Lang appeared in the middle and answered a few more questions. It's fun to listen to some of his thoughts in directing a drama like this.