Sunday, January 24, 2016

2016.1.24. Wilson River trail: Jone's Creek <-> Kerning Creek

1/24, Sunday. Light rain at times. 19.4 mile out and back on a section of Wilson River Trail. My phone registered 48k steps. 18 people started shortly ~9:50am at Jones Creek TH, turned back at Keenig Creek TH, 6 finished at 5:30pm, another 6 arrived ~6pm. Some of us left before the last group showed up. It was quite dark already. View of water most of the way, a couple of single log bridges, small waterfalls. A pleasant hike all year around, and all weather. Just Tillamook Forest Center is closed in winter. For public that is. On our way back, the center was lit up, quite cute.

~3350' cumulative elevation gain at 2.5mph seems respectable, including a lunch break, my ~40 photos (mostly hurried), a few easy creek and mud crossings (from Wolf Creek to was officially closed due to storm damage, but we all went through that without trouble, twice). There're quite a number of old ladies in this outing, some look at least in their 60s, but no slower than I am. I'm the slower one in the first group, and the other 5 are all older than me. Well, a warning to my lazy winter self.

In comparison, almost exactly one year ago, I did a 16 mile one way hike from King's Mt TH to Keenig Creek TH.