Sunday, January 17, 2016

2016.1.16. Snowshoe to Tamanawas Falls

1/16, Saturday. Rain non-stop. Waterfalls amidst snow and ice is always a treat. Tamanawas Falls ~4 miles RT, is such an easy example.Snow is pretty thick all along, even though it's been warm this past 2 weeks. The trail is beaten down by boots, so no need for snowshoes. I wore them anyway, so I can cut across the trees. There are 2 significant bridges, one right at the trailhead, over East Fork Hood River, one over Cold Spring Creek.

About 20 of us did this hike (31 signed up), parking right by the road (Hwy 35, snow free/plowed). Some are very slow. I had to wait for an entire hour for my driver to return. So glad that I took an umbrella to this hike. Since many of the participants are photographers, the two good photos (to the right) are their. I'm in the first photo, having trouble operating my phone camera (screen wet + cold hand).