Saturday, March 28, 2015

2015.3.28. Cascade Head and Cape Kiwanda

3/28. Cloudy - Partially Sunny. Repeat my last hike last year in Cascade Head. No strong wind today, nor elk. Didn't see whale spouting either. Very muddy. A lot of skunk cabbage. I took a big leave to the car, so my boots wouldn't soil the floor. Julie said I could try to reach Harts Cove, so I did - try. From Cascade Head's top trail junction, it's 1 mile to the upper parking lot. From there, it's about 0.8 miles gravel road to Harts Cove trailhead. The road is now closed (Jan 1 - July 15). By the time I saw that it's 2.7 miles to the meadow, my heart sank: I couldn't let others wait for 2 hours. I did ran down for 5 minutes hoping to get a glance of something ahead. But none. All woods. I saw 3 of my companion as I walked on the open meadow. When I stopped to take a photo, saw Theresa resting unaware that the rest of the group has departed. So two of us headed down together.

We arrived at Cape Kiwanda just before the low tide, so we have time to position ourselves for photographing the tide rolling in. It's fun to walk up all the sandy hills, check out the big caves under the rocks, waves pounding the shore. Many young people climbed these with bare feet. Lots of cars and people. When we later walked into Pelican Pub right at the beach, our wait time is 1:15 -1:30. So we gave up. There're a lot of dying Velella stranded on the beach.