Sunday, August 09, 2026

2026.8.9. Gothic Basin and Del Campo

8/9, Sunday. Clear sky. After a week of haze and high temperature, this is a welcome reprise.

A lot of cars at Gothic Basin TH. Trail is straighforward, all the way to Foggy Lake. People dipped into the cold water after the sweaty hike. A lot of people though.

After lunch, I headed to Del Campo. There is a clear trail all the way to the talus field. Still a bit of snow left at the bottom, where I filled up my water bottle. This photo on the left was taken from the trail, no scramble needed yet.

I made a mistake scrambling all the way to the end of that field, because I remembered turning left there, and rounded back. A mistake. Had to back down, and scaled the peak more or less directly. There were a steady stream of folks trying to climb Del Campo. I forgot to pack a helmet. The view on the summit is stupendous. Not a lot of room. I stood on different spots to take photos so not to have other climbers in my shot.

I climbed down very slowly. Always feels more dangerous on my way down. I might be the last person off the mountain, even though 2 more went up on my way down.

On my hike out of Foggy Lake, I stumbled onto the southern shore of the lower Foggy Lake. It's a very nice detour. No one out here. New to me.

Saw a few more backpackers hiking in, on my way out.

A couple of take-aways:

  • always bring a helmet, if climbing
  • cannot rely on my memory