Saturday, August 08, 2026

2026.8.8. Museum Day in Tacoma

8/8, Saturday. Hot (~85°F) in Tacoma. Annual Museum Day. A large indigenous craft market by WA History Museum, and a smaller glass art market in front of the Glass Museum. At about 40 minutes after the schedule, the speaker and performance took place outside of WA History Museum.

Tacoma Art Museum (TAM) has an exhibition of titled Finding Home about Chinese American in the west in 1800s. Only 2 paintings (I liked both) and a long scroll by Zhi Lin about the 1885 Tacoma expulsion, when the city forcibly removed its entire Chinese immigrant community. I visit TAM rarely, so all is new to me. I quite like these glass balls in the unaccessible courtyard.

Museum of Glass is in the middle of renovation. The hot shop is open. Apart from that, the only exhibition is Paul Sankard's miniature world. It's quite amazing. I like his bees. They look so real.

I didn't have enough time to go through the History Museum. These teeth on the first floor look impressive. Next year.