Saturday, September 21, 2024

2024.9.21. Navaho Peak

9/21, Saturday. Sunny. I walked to SC's buiding to catch a ride for Navaho Peak. SC always meets at Green Lake P&R which is the wrong direction. I'm surprised to find another group heading to Ingalls Lake also meeting here. At 6:30am, already a lot of folks in the P&R.

We stopped at Eastgate P&R again (not sure why), and then at a cafe in Cle Elum. By the time we started hiking, it was already past 9:20. Here, we need to sign a wilderness permit (even for day hike).

Thankfully, this group is not too slow. We reached Navaho Pass ~11:50. I was hungry, so ate my lunch there and then. I'm quite disappointed, because none of the larch trees turned yellow. I guess, we haven't had any cold night yet. All along, dusty trail, brown grass. Down in the valley, some leaves had turned yellow/red, but not much. This trail is better hiked in June, when shooting stars filled up the camping meadow below the pass, and small flowers cling on the gravel ridges, more snows on the peaks makes them pretties. Right now, all the ridges are bare.

Continued up to the peak. This part is the steepest of the entire trail: 1100' in a mile. On the way, you start to see Adams and Rainier, and later more peaks in the Alpine Lakes. The view up at the peak is wonderful (yes, better earlier with snow). Saw 2 burning smokes to the south.

Back as we came. Loose gravel. Need care coming down. Easier in early season on snow. At Navaho Pass, saw 3 girls with bikes. On the way out, encountered 10+ runners coming out, churning up dust as they ran by. Saw a water tank at the trailhead when we got out. Might be a race. I got stung by something at the parking lot. A red rash of 3" wide persisted for a whole week! Itchy.

A good workout, 4200' 13 miles, I carried my umbrella most of the ways, except on the pass where it was windy. Bad traffic on I-90 due to accident. I fell asleep for a bit. Then bad traffic on I-5 both ways. It's stupid to meet at Green Lake P&R for hikes to the east.