Friday, August 16, 2024

2024.8.16. Pagliacci - Seattle Opera

8/16, Friday, 7:30pm. I've only known Pagliacci because of Pagliacci Pizza, which I really like. Pagliacci - the opera, is new to me. I had never heard of Ruggero Leoncavallo, the composer and librettist. However, most of us have heard of its aria Vesti La Giubba, a clown with a laughing face, but crying inside.

Seattle Opera's production of Pagliacci has a very nice stage set. I really like the voice of Tonio (Michael Chioldi), the hunchback. I also like the chorus. I didn't care for the soprano nor the tenor. Less volumn. A minor gripe. Tonio the actor is taller and better looking than Canio (Pagliacci). Seattle Opera costume department should make him ugly and add a hunchback.

This opera is short. Only 1 stage set. At the end of the opera, noticed the costum sets in the lobby. Didn't stay for the after talk. Need to prepare for tomorrow's hike.