Saturday, July 20, 2024

2024.7.20. Tomyhoi Peak

A very long and hot day, dusty but beautiful. Bugs are out.

I left home at 4:40am to catch the lightrail. I was the first person who arrived at the Green Lake P&R. 2 people didn't show up because of faulty alarm setup. Picked up one more in Lynnwood. 8 total. Except for one girl, all 7 summited Tomyhoi. She went to Yellow Aster Butte, and waited forever for the rest of us. Because other than DR and me, the rest needs babysitting during the scramble. Slow progress.

I had never visited this area in summer. Being a well-known fall destination, parking is possible now. I was pleasantly surprised by the profusion of flowers on the way. Started with endless yellow aster, bistort, velarian, splashes of color of paintbrush, fireweed, thistle, columbine, penstemon, rosy spirea. In the snowmelt, saw Arctic Sweet Coltsfoot (new to me). It was very warm, and the only shade is at the begining. I'm glad to use my silver umbrella.

Ignore the first junction to Tomyhoi Lake (branching out to the right) at mile 1.5. 2 easy miles later, 7 of us took the left side trail going down to the lake basin, where a few tents were already staking their spots. I never camped here. No shade. Too sunny. Also, out in the open for all the eyes. The water here is mixed with bug spray and sunscreen, not what I want to drink, even filtered. Will be very crowded as the day goes on. I did camp higher (less eyes, but equally no shade), last time when climing Tomyhoi.

I started down first, because I'm the slowest of the bunch. Took a boot path (not the formal trail), straight down (not recommending this, I slid once, no harm, but not necessary). Didn't linger at any of the lakes, headed up the next plateau, where I got slower and slower. By the time I reached the next pond (just below where I camped last time), I was already the last in my group. While the others were taking selfies and filtering water, I put some snow in my bottle and continued onwards.

Heathers are everywhere. Both colors. The trail is obvious except one tiny scramble. Flowering slopes then flat eidge. Until we reached the summit area, where scramble begins.

Last time I took to the snow (much less snow, it was autumn). Didn't like the transition onto the rocks. This time, I decided to try climbing over the first peak, where DR calls it false summit. I had my lunch here, already noon, also to lessen some weight. DR climbed over to some rock, and took this photo of us and 2 other girls. None of them wanted to follow. After lunch, I started to climb, and soon, the 3 friends of DR's coworker all followed. It's not pretty, nor horrible. My ice axe, pole, umbrella were sticking out of my pack, and hindered some movement. EB and JF were afraid. JF tried to follow the track on the snow.

When I climbed to the ridge, I saw 2 guys going down to the snow. Seems much easier. EB followed JF, very slowly, cursing on the way, because he didn't bring an ice axe. I stashed my ice axe here.

I continued, waiting once awhile so whoever behind can see where to go. The ridge is not bad. No need for hands. By then, we can smell the smoke from the recent fire in the east. Both Shuksan and Baker lost their heads in the haze.
Then, it's a steep down slope (see the left photo of me going down, and the steep edge ahead), followed by an almost vertical edge (I took the right photo on this edge looking down and what we just came from). DR had to stay behind to direct his friends.

Then, it's a narrow traverse. Finally a ramp going up to the true summit, which has 3 rock piles of slightly different height. Each fairly small, not enough for all 7 of us. Once I stood up on the tallest rock, I climbed back out to the first rock pile. EB refused to go to the other two. We sat there waiting for the others. EB ditched his backpack below the steep climb, so I gave him some water and cucumber. There's good cell signal here, we checked our phones!

Among all the rocks, there were occasional penstemon and sedum. Also some hairy cinquefoil (my guess). Quite some lady bugs.

EB and I started down first. At multiple occasions, I had to place EB's feet on the rocks. We all made it safe and sound. Once I retrieved my ice axe, I decided to take the snow route. Put micro-spiles on, gave my ice axe to EB. This is much easier, easier than the snow route I took last time (different gully). JF, EB, and I waited for the rest who took to the rocks. It turns out they found a different way to come back.

Once the scramble is over, I was lagging behind again. Some of my group decided to swim in the ponds in the camping area, so I gained back the lost distance. See, don't drink water from these ponds. They look nice, but ..., also there are dogs.

Going back from the ponds, I took the official trail. Tons of penstemon blooming along the zigzag. Waited in the shade next to the junction of Yellow Ester Butte trail. Soon mosquitoes found me. Dinner time! After some snacks, I headed out first, away from the bugs. I was able to finally walk at a leisure pace, taking more photos. Smoke cleared up a bit.

I managed to loose my water bottle. I didn't realize it until I wanted to drink. I thought I dropped the bottle where I did a bio break. Headed back to look for it, found nothing. Back at TH around 7:30pm, dead thirsty. The poor girl (who didn't climb) had been waiting for us for hours. I got dropped off at the I-5 exit which DR uses for his own home. Walked another 20+ minute home. Just shy of 11pm. Oddly, I didn't fall asleep during the drive both ways. However, I slept most of the day Sunday.