Sunday, March 05, 2023

2023.3.5. A series small performances around downtown

3/5 Sunday. Cloudy. Orquesta NW is hosting a 2-hr performance titled as "Roots Without Borders" at SCC's Broadway Performance Hall. Funny that I took "re-education" for 1.5 years here, but never went into this theatre.

Before the 2pm concert, a group of and an Aztec dance group CeAtl Tonalli danced, chanted, and drummed in front of the building. Thankfully, the weather held up. Very colorful, and energetic, but simple movements.

On stage, first was Lummi Nation violinist and storyteller Swil Kanim. He's pretty funny.

Then, early music artists Guo Ke, Gus Denhard and Antonio Gomez of Trio Guadalavin performed 3 songs, one each of Moorish (Lamma Bada Yathatana), Jewish (Ija Mia) and Catholic (Strela do día Cantiga de Santa Maria #100, by Rey Alfonso X, El Sabio, 13th century). Each song was prefaced by an intro. I very much enjoyed these 2 parts.

The 2nd hour is Ballard Civic Orchestra. First piece is Sensemayá (new to me), 2nd is a Haydn's No. 1 Symphony, when I took off. They are not the best orchestra.

Walked to Trinity Parish Church for a celebration of 15 years of Sine Nomine, a renaissance choir. The last concert with the current conductor Anne Lyman. A very young lady from Italy will lead the group from now on. I arrived, luckily, right before the intermission, as this new conductor was being introduced. All the songs are quite pretty, voices are arranged nicely. I especially like the last song If ye love me by Thomas Tallis (16th century). Again, I lived in Seattle for half of my life, and never visited this pretty church, nor heard this choir.

After the concert, I was pleasantly surprised to find an array of food and wine for the "celebration".