Thursday, March 30, 2023

2023.3.30. White House Economic Initiative for AA and NHPSI at Seattle City Hall

3/30. This particular White House Initiative held an economic summit at Seattle City Hall Thursday monring. It's a half day panel of speeches by representitives of various agencies. At some point, after the Mayor's short speech (I no longer remember what he said), all was put on hold so people can take a photo with him, even though, as usual, things were running quite behind the schedule. After this, we had a breakout session, so part of the attendees go to a smaller room downstairs.

It seems like a good turnout. The main conference room was maybe 3/4 full. It was also livestreamed. The audience is for Asian American and Pacific Islanders. So everyone looks like me, even most of those on the panel. Most of the attendees are second generation though. No one talked about immigration. A Hawaiian lady flew here from CA to attend. A few from Tacoma, and other part of the state.

A lot of agencies, with their tables and brochures outside. I'm pleased to know all these resources available in both the Federal and local level. Even in the bathroom, a lady gave me a piece of printout of a grant for community projects. I probably should just quit my job and start a (most likely money lossing) business.

One thing I'm disapointed to notice is that bottled water was provided, no filling of drinking water. I brought my water bottle, but couldn't fill it. Ended up drinking coffee instead. Well, it helps, as I was still trying to work. I brought this to the attention of 2 organizers, one young dude was geniunely surprised.