Thursday, March 30, 2023

2023.3.30. Carmina Burana with Seattle Symphony

3/30. Fabulous.
Gioachino Rossini - William Tell Overture
Qigang Chen       - L'éloignement
Carl Orff         - Carmina burana
I really enjoyed the concert. A rare occasion to have a company. Carmina Burana is my all time favorite choir work. I like all 3 soloists. The baritone Hugh Russell is so funny. The suprano Jana McIntyre is very elegant. First time I see superscript used for the chorus, finally understand what they are singing about. Reading the notes is not the same, never sank in.

William Tell is also a familar and cheerful piece. Not sure about this new(ish 2003) work by the Chinese composer Qigang Chen (陈其钢). I like the Chinese conductor, Xian Zhang (张弦). Small in stature, but full of energy. She looks like a Mao era character: black head to toe!

I made a mistaken buying tickets close to stage on the left side. Percussion is on the left stage, and used extensively tonight. Protect your ears!