Saturday, December 24, 2022

2022.12.24. Disastrous Christmas

12/24, woke up and stepped on to water. Water was flowing on the floor. Immediately I started soaking and squeezing water with towels.

12/18-20 heavy snow.
12/21, temperature dropped down to 13°C. But it was sunny, so I walked about.
12/23, temperature started to rise quickly. Raining buckets.
Overnight the snow on the balcony melted so fast, that water and ice mixture rose and seeped through the concrete wall and into the livingroom.

I put on rain jacket, shoveling snow over the railing standing in icy water. Got reprimanded by an upstair neightbor. But there's nothing else I could do without causing more damage. I had to come in to warm up my feet from time to time, and soak and squeeze water from the floor. But more water was coming in than I could remove. Had to call my sister for help. Downstair neighbor came up twice, because their ceiling was raining. The emergency number of the building reached no one. More hands on the balcony. After removing most of the snow, we found the drain. It was blocked by ice inside. Poured hot water down. Finally the water level started to drop. Continued wiping the floor inside. An HOA board member came to investigate. Called 3 Home Depots hoping to rent 1-2 blowers, but all out.

Later in the afternoon, sis brought 2 heaters and a fan. The room was kept in an uncomfortable high temperature.

12/25. Woke up many times, difficult to sleep: too dry and too hot. Sore muscles in legs, hip and back.

12/31. Update, my legs were in pain for 4 more days. Still sore a week later.