Thursday, September 29, 2022

2022.9.29. Camina Burana at PNB

9/29, Thursday. McCaw Hall. Pacific Northwest Ballet:
  • Allegro Brillante | George Balanchine
  • Wartime Elegy | Alexei Ratmansky
  • Carmina Burana | Kent Stowell
I love Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, my favorite chorus work. I watched PNB performing it years ago, and loved it then. I like it still. However, the choir is smaller than it needed to be, which is difficult for a ballet.

The two pieces before the intermission are also quite nice. I especially loved Wartime Elegy, dedicated to Ukraine. It's funny, with unique moves, when 4 male dances fall over one after another in a chain.

After the show, I attended the Q&A session with the artistic director and one dancer. The dancer talked about this falling move in Wartime Elegy, which required a lot of practice.

About 2/5 of audience didn't wear face mask.