Sunday, August 14, 2022

2022.8.13-14. Summerland overnight with newbies

Summerland has been a regular backpacking trip for me during wildflower season. This year, I agreed to take 2 friends with me. They are new to backpacking. We had planned this a month ahead. They bought tent and sleeping bags. I veto-ed their new tent (3 person 7lb ‐ K claims that backpacking tents are too claustrophobic). I sent a long list of checklist a few days before. They brought way too much junk, especially bottled water (maybe 10 bottles). I threw out four 0.5L bottles, but should've checked inside their packs.
Lessons
  • This is too much for beginners
  • Need to check their backpacks before starting the hike
8/13 Saturday. K doesn't get up early. D & K didn't arrive at my home until noon - which he calculated that it would get him to camp by 6pm. There were conjestions out of downtown, and a habitual wait at the park entrance (I ran to the wilderness center, while the car was waiting in the queue). By the time I picked up my permit, and we all saddled up to start, it was already 3:30pm. D had a bag made for laptop. It was stuffed with food, her shoulder was feeling the pain shortly after we started. K was under the heavy load of their junk in a towering backpack, and he was lagging behind. We made a long stop at Summerland to admire the scenary. It was already 6pm. Above that, water was running high. We had trouble crossing water (in 3 braids) before this log bridge. Neither of them brought sandals (which I listed as optional, but I brought a pair). We met a couple on their 2nd to last day of Wonderland loop. The girl informed me of a tricky snowbridge close to Panhandle Gap.

We made the camp ~7pm. No more sun, so it was too cold to wash up. It was cloudy, no sunset. Not many stars due to the near-full moon who rose ~10:30pm. Didn't see any shooting stars (Perseids).

8/14 Sunday. I got up at 6am, and started my morning hike ~6:30. We have agreed to meet at Panhandle Gap at 11am. First, took a reflection photo at the 2 ponds below Panhandle Gap.

Next, took a different gap over to Sarvent area. I left the spikes for my friends, so took the steep rocks above the snow. A little tricky, but I made it slowly. I did go back via Panhandle Gap, just to see the condition of the snow bridge. It's longer, but has a more defined trail to follow.

I always see goats here. No exception today. They were resting, and started to move away when I got closer. But didn't leave altogether.

My destination here, same as last August, is Banshee Peak. It's an easy walk, maybe a mile from the trail. Easy slope, not as many flowers as I hoped. The faint bootpath disappeared altogether after the goats. The view is splendid all around.

Going back via Panhandle Gap. The snow bridge was close to collapse. It was hard when I crossed it ~9am. It's narrow and on a steep slope. Need to be careful.
My friends were up. They were slow getting ready. I made them carry the spikes. This photo was taken on the way back on the rest of the snow, after the snow bridge was punched through. They put on spikes, and followed me slowly one by one. I waited on the other end, pointing out where NOT to step (on top of the short bridge), but K still stepped on it. It was still hard (at 11am, still in the shade), and he was fine. After he crossed over, and looking back, he realized what I meant. Now he said I didn't explain why! Oh, well...

Wow is what they claimed after they reached Panhandle Gap. But I made them walk more. From there on, it was slow going. They were taking photos. We saw a herd of goats (maybe the same ones I met in the morning) on a patch of snow. After about 1-1.5 miles, they decided to turn back. We met a group of 6 Chinese from Arizona, carrying heavy packs doing Wonderland loop. They weren't able to secure campsites at Indian Bar or Summerland. Today is their toughest: 18 miles from Nickle Creek to the road. I continued on to my favorite flower slope, Not as good as last 2 years, but still lovely. I sat down and ate my lunch, took a long-ish break before hiking back (uphill). Met a few more loop hikers, and 2 doing the 18 mile one-way as a day hike.

Caught up with my friends before we reached the gap. The group before us decided to scramble down the rocky slope to avoid the snow. My friends put on spikes and we crossed on the snow. The two ponds under direct sun look very pretty from here.

We packed up. They decided to cook dinner. Took the same detour around the creek going down to Summerland. Made a break at Summerland. See the first photo of this blog. It was 5:30pm already! D had never walked this much in a day. Her muscles were complaining. I carried her pack out the last 2 miles. We made to the car ~8pm. No traffic on the way back.